[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 1.4 Wish: Revamped sizing gadget

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (10/11/89)

I would like to propose a change to the system sizing gadget.  The way it
is now, the user is too limited in the directions he/she can alter the
window.  When trying to right-justify a window of a certain size, it can
become quite a chore.  Resize-drag-resize-drag- etc.  This is one thing that
I like in MS Windows (gak), that you can drag *any* corner around to resize
the window.  I'm not necessarily proposing that that method be proposed, just
something slightly more flexibly than the current version.

I also would like to see what a previous poster proposed: visual display of
the window borders while resizing (would that really be much of a problem to
implement?  I wouldn't think so).

    ________________    __________________    ____________________________
////                \\//                  \\//                            \\\\
\\\\ Neil Weinstock //\\ att!cord!nsw  or //\\ "Oh dear, now I shall have ////
//// AT&T Bell Labs \\// nsw@cord.att.com \\//  to create more Martians." \\\\
\\\\________________//\\__________________//\\____________________________////

In article <5228@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:
> I would like to propose a change to the system sizing gadget.

Me too. I'd like to at least allow a program to specify that it goes in the
top border of the window (SIZEBTOP):

								   Front
	Close                                                   Back | Size
	|()| Title                                               |//|\\|oO|

This would let you have resizable windows that didn't waste 2 character columns
on the sizing gadget.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

In article <4341@sugar.hackercorp.com> (Peter da Silva) writes:
> ... I'd like to at least allow a program to specify that it goes in the
>top border of the window (SIZEBTOP):
	[cute picture deleted]
>This would let you have resizable windows that didn't waste 2 character columns
>on the sizing gadget.

And my .02 worth, why not make the border the sizing gadget ? If you wanted
to sorta OpenLook(tm) like you could draw your corners like so ;
		------====+

Where the double lines are either a different color (pen 3?) or simply a
different line pattern. The benefits of having sizing gadgets in all 4 corners
is obvious ( you save a window move if your window is in the same corner of
the screen that the sizing gadget is in the window. (lower right by default)).
If you wanted to be really tricky you could use the other part of the border
(between the sizing gadgets) to drag the window around. This has the advantage
of being easy to do, and takes up very little screen real estate.

Oh and for Peter, you only need (1) Front to back gadget if you think about
it, so you could save some space there as well.

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."

andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) (10/12/89)

In article <5228@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:

   I would like to propose a change to the system sizing gadget.  The way it
   is now, the user is too limited in the directions he/she can alter the
   window.  When trying to right-justify a window of a certain size, it can
   become quite a chore.  Resize-drag-resize-drag- etc.  This is one thing that
   I like in MS Windows (gak), that you can drag *any* corner around to resize
   the window.  I'm not necessarily proposing that that method be proposed,
   just something slightly more flexibly than the current version.

   I also would like to see what a previous poster proposed: visual display of
   the window borders while resizing (would that really be much of a problem to
   implement?  I wouldn't think so).

I agree entirely.  The best example of a window resize operation is
the way 'twm' does it for X windows.  In order to resize a window, you
click on the gadget, then move the pointer outside the window in any
direction.  If you exit near the middle of a side, you can only resize
in that direction.  If you exit at a corner, you can resize from that
corner.  If, for example, you exit from the top, and then move the
pointer down past the bottom of the window, it automatically grabs the
bottom of the window instead and starts resizing from that.  This is
similar to (though less versatile and more intuitive than) the method
for resizing used on the Xerox 1108/1186 series of Lisp machines.  The
only bad part about this scheme is that you must exit the window in
order to resize.  You cannot grab the gadget and simply move into the
window to make it smaller; you must first leave the window and then
reenter.  I also think that commands like resize and move should be
abortable by clicking the other mouse button before releasing the
button used to start the operation (see X window manager 'awm').
--

Andrew Thomas
andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu	Systems Design Eng.	University of Waterloo

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (10/12/89)

andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) writes:
> I agree entirely.  The best example of a window resize operation is
> the way 'twm' does it for X windows.  In order to resize a window, you
> click on the gadget, then move the pointer outside the window in any
> direction.

God no!  TWM's method of resizing is the most totally un-intuitive I've ever
used!  The functionality-- sure; but don't use the same method!

-Miles

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (10/12/89)

In article <4341@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <5228@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>> I would like to propose a change to the system sizing gadget.

  I'd like to see a resize gadget that works like the one used by the
twm X Windows window manager. You click on the gadget (which is in the
upper right hand corner of the title bar) and your pointer changes.
You then move the pointer to a window border, where it gets attached,
and you pull in the direction you like. I don't like the ones where
you have to carefully grab some small gadget on one of the edges or
corners of the window.

  Jim

scotth@corp.sgi.com (Scott Henry) (10/12/89)

In article <35609@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) writes:
> In article <4341@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In article <5228@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>>> I would like to propose a change to the system sizing gadget.

I like what is used in the 4Sight window manager (Silicon Graphics Iris
workstation NeWS/X11R3 based). I actually like the 3.1 version better
(because all three buttons had unique functions), but the 3.2 version is
more approprite for the 2-button Amiga: There are two gadgets in the title
bar -- close and iconify; the whole window border (including title-bar) is
the click-to-front (left button) gadget (if the mouse didn't move before
button release), or window drag (middle button or move with left button);
there is a sizing gadget in each corner; right button brings up a pop-up
menu with all functions + push, quit & resize.  It would be nice to add
some method of indicating the rows & columns (either characters for a
single-font window, or pixels for a graphics/multi-font window) while
sizing.
--
    Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com>	| Tardis Express -- when it
    Information Services,		| absolutely, positively

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (10/13/89)

In article <126138@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
)Oh and for Peter, you only need (1) Front to back gadget if you think about
)it, so you could save some space there as well.

Too late: there's already one depth gadget, and the space earned is
used for something like "zoom."

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."

)
[...]

Doesn't sound too good to me, better, perhaps, but not great.

I also think that commands like resize and move should be
)abortable by clicking the other mouse button before releasing the
)button used to start the operation (see X window manager 'awm').

"It's In There."

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."
							- Justice Blackmun
Opinions are my own.  Comments are not to be taken as Commodore official policy.

gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) (10/13/89)

I like the method used on my AT&T 630mtg terminal.  Once you select
resize, (from a menu selection, then click-selecting a menu...  I
prefer this method because you don't have to "top" a window to find the
resize gadget to move it) an outline appears that is centered on the mouse
pointer.  The size of that window is "recommended" by the application
(it knows how big it needs to be to show its "stuff".  An interesting
side effect is that this allows me to have a 24x80 window in whatever font
I want without having to guess how big 24x80 [or any other size] actually is.
Also, trivial things like clocks can say "I only need to be this big", but
the user can always size it bigger).

If you do not like that size, you can move the pointer to place it
where you want one of the corners.  Then, you push button-3 and hold it
down, moving the mouse to the position of the opposing corner.
Releasing button-3 moves the window and resizes it in one step.

On the other hand, if you liked the "recommended" size of the window,
you can just move it to where you want it and click button-3.  Note
that both activities are on button-3 which implies that your click in
the latter case must be fairly quick and you can not be dragging the
mouse while you do it.  I have never had the terminal get my intentions
confused though, so the timing must not be that critical (clock
granularity on the terminal is 1/60th of a second).

--
-----
gregg.g.wonderly@att.com   (AT&T bell laboratories)

jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) (10/13/89)

In article <4696@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:

| Too late: there's already one depth gadget, and the space earned is
| used for something like "zoom."
|
|	jimm

Interesting.. does this imply that clicking in a window automatically moves
it to the front, as it does in the Mac?  Must we have the active window in
front then?  Or do you mean to use the two mouse buttons to select what is
done, moving away from the status quo of using one mouse button exclusively
for menus?

Out of curiosity:  A lot of people are suggesting a lot of things to be added
to v1.4, but it seems that if these suggestions actually stand any chance of
being put into v1.4 then v1.4 must be a good deal away.  Most of the info I
have regarding 1.4 comes from the DevCon, back in June.  Have you at this time
finalized what features you want to put into 1.4, or is it still up in the air,
and to what degree, if I might ask?

Additionally, in the latest Amazing, the bandito indicated that the workbench
was being redone by a professional graphic artist, while reports from DevCon
that I saw indicated few cosmetic changes to the workbench except for the
slider gadgets in the corner, the parent gadget, etc.  Will we see a totally
redesigned workbench style, and if so, will the ASL.library have the same
styling as the workbench for uniformity's sake?

Sorry for all the nosy questions, thanks for any you can answer.

  // /\   /\/\   | Jonathan Abbey - jonabbey@doc.cc.utexas.edu - (512) 926-5934
\X/ /  \ /    \  | Wanted: Programmers interested in 3d graphics/modem games.

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (10/13/89)

In article <3851@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) writes:
>I like the method used on my AT&T 630mtg terminal.  Once you select
>[ description deleted ]

You might call the 630 resize the other end of the spectrum from the Amiga
resize.  The problem with that extreme is that you must respecify the entire
window every time.   Now, there are some times when all I want is to widen
a window a bit, to add an extra column or something, and on the 630 I
can't do it with maximum ease.  Like the Amiga resize, it's not bad or anything,
just not as good as it could be.
    ________________    __________________    ____________________________
////                \\//                  \\//                            \\\\

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (10/14/89)

In article <4341@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Me too. I'd like to at least allow a program to specify that it goes in the
>top border of the window (SIZEBTOP):
>								   Front
>	Close                                                   Back | Size
>	+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
>	|()| Title                                               |//|\\|oO|
>	|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>This would let you have resizable windows that didn't waste 2 character columns
>on the sizing gadget.

Now this idea is great - so simple, but SO useful.  When I read this I thought
"Now why didn't someone think of this years ago!? Why didn't *I* think of this?"
Well, as a person who dislikes sacrificing columnar real-estate for a single
20x20 pixel square  ----  I love this idea!  Backwards compatible too, and we
just have to sacrifice a flag bit.

John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
PenPal V1.1 for sale: $90.  All original disks, manual, box.  Registration.

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (10/14/89)

In article <19529@ut-emx.UUCP> jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) writes:
)In article <4696@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
)| Too late: there's already one depth gadget, and the space earned is
)| used for something like "zoom."
)|	jimm
)Interesting.. does this imply that clicking in a window automatically moves
)it to the front, as it does in the Mac?

Never.  If you click the depth gadget, the window comes to the front if
it is not already.  If you click it when the window is in front, it goes
to the back.  People like little new habits.  There might be a change
replacing the phrase "already in front" to "unobscured."

)Must we have the active window in
)front then?  Or do you mean to use the two mouse buttons to select what is
)done, moving away from the status quo of using one mouse button exclusively
)for menus?

Ick.  No.

)Out of curiosity:  A lot of people are suggesting a lot of things to be added
)to v1.4, but it seems that if these suggestions actually stand any chance of
)being put into v1.4 then v1.4 must be a good deal away.  Most of the info I
)have regarding 1.4 comes from the DevCon, back in June.  Have you at this time
)finalized what features you want to put into 1.4, or is it still up in the air,
)and to what degree, if I might ask?

If the ideas are not already in the code, it will be much less likely that
they will be in V1.4.

)Additionally, in the latest Amazing, the bandito indicated that the workbench
)was being redone by a professional graphic artist, while reports from DevCon
)that I saw indicated few cosmetic changes to the workbench except for the
)slider gadgets in the corner, the parent gadget, etc.  Will we see a totally
)redesigned workbench style, and if so, will the ASL.library have the same
)styling as the workbench for uniformity's sake?

There are styling changes planned both in Intuition and Workbench.  There are
mechanisms for tweezing up imagery in these, and in applications, to
a better level of aesthetics.  There are artists.  Only a little of this
is present in the alpha software that has been distributed.  That software
had some compositional changes to the Workbench windows.  The artwork
will complement these changes, but it is really a separate effort.

)Sorry for all the nosy questions, thanks for any you can answer.

I wonder about them myself.

	jimm

--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."
							- Justice Blackmun
Opinions are my own.  Comments are not to be taken as Commodore official policy.

In article <126138@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
> In article <4341@sugar.hackercorp.com> (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > ... I'd like to at least allow a program to specify that it goes in the
> >top border of the window (SIZEBTOP):

> >This would let you have resizable windows that didn't waste 2 character columns
> >on the sizing gadget.

> Oh and for Peter, you only need (1) Front to back gadget if you think about
> it, so you could save some space there as well.

But that's not the sort of "space" I care about saving. You can put the kitchen
sink in the title bar and so long as it doesn't make it taller I could care
less. But if you put anything in any other border you have to thicken the whole
border to make room.

Putting sizing gadgets in all corners are a good idea, but do it like Microsoft
Windows: the whole border is thickened, and grabbing the border anywhere lets
you resize the window. Go play with Windows... it's really very well designed,
a whole lot better than the Mac (too bad the program interface isn't as nice
as the user interface).
--

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (10/15/89)

In article <4703@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
> [This is why you need only 1 depth gadget, not 2.]
>If you click the depth gadget, the window comes to the front if
>it is not already.  If you click it when the window is in front, it goes
>to the back.  People like little new habits.  There might be a change
>replacing the phrase "already in front" to "unobscured."

	Did you realize that this method is not as powerful as the 2-gadget
method (window-to-front, window-to-back gadgets)?  Windows that are
"sandwiched" between two other windows will require extra clicks for the
user to manipulate them.  Here's a sample scenario to demonstrate this.

	Picture three stacked windows, labelled 1, 2, and 3.  1 is on top of
2, and 2 is on top of 3.  Window 1 covers exactly the left half of the
screen.  Window 2 covers the entire screen.  Window 3 covers exactly the
right half of the screen.
	The object is to display window 3, which is totally obscured by
window 2.

	With the one-gadget system, what must you do?  Well, you can't click
on window 3 at all, so you click window 2's gadget.  Since window 2 is not
in front (window 1 is), it comes to the front.  Now click window 2 again
to send it to the back, thereby displaying window 3.

	With the two-gadget system, you just click window 2's "back" gadget,
displaying window 3.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |
| The Johns Hopkins University, 34th and Charles Sts., Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | BITNET: barrett@jhuvms.bitnet  |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

In article <4703@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>In article <19529@ut-emx.UUCP> jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) writes:
>
>Never.  If you click the depth gadget, the window comes to the front if
>it is not already.  If you click it when the window is in front, it goes
>to the back.  People like little new habits.  There might be a change
>replacing the phrase "already in front" to "unobscured."

Ok, from this discussion I have figured out that the title
bar is gonna look significatly different.

Now a question. I am just finishing up a nifty program that
has an iconify gadget place just to the left of the depth
gadgets. Is this going to break in 1.4?
The way I get it to be there, and show on top of the drag bar
is by:
	win=Openwindow(&nw);
	AddGadget(win,icongadget);

I doubt that this would wwork well if I wanted to put
a gadget to the right of the close gadget, since it would
cover the title.
Is there a better way to put extra gadgets in the title
bar and have them not be disturbed by the drag bar, ot
the title? If not, is there a way to do it in 1.4?

I did try many different things with gadget flags, but
only adding the gadget after opening the window worked.

Oh, another wish, how about centering window and screen
titles?
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (10/16/89)

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> In article <4703@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
> > [This is why you need only 1 depth gadget, not 2.]
>         Picture three stacked windows, labelled 1, 2, and 3.  1 is on top of
> 2, and 2 is on top of 3.  Window 1 covers exactly the left half of the
> screen.  Window 2 covers the entire screen.  Window 3 covers exactly the
> right half of the screen.
>         The object is to display window 3, which is totally obscured by
> window 2.
>
>         With the one-gadget system, what must you do?  Well, you can't click
> on window 3 at all, so you click window 2's gadget.  Since window 2 is not
> in front (window 1 is), it comes to the front.  Now click window 2 again
> to send it to the back, thereby displaying window 3.
>
>         With the two-gadget system, you just click window 2's "back" gadget,
> displaying window 3.

You do need one more click-- but clicking twice instead of once is SO EASY,
that it makes little difference.  In fact, I would bet that it's easier to do
this than decide which of the two existing front<->back gadgets to click on.
I know I'm always forgetting which one is which...

-Miles

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/16/89)

Depth gadget?  Oh yeah, that think that I don't use now that I run
dMouse.  :-)

-Tom "Depth gadgets get obscured, dMouse doesn't" :-) Limoncelli
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (10/16/89)

In article <Oct.15.16.14.26.1989.20250@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> Depth gadget?  Oh yeah, that think that I don't use now that I run
> dMouse.  :-)

Gee, Tom.  You should start using your think again! :-)  :-)  :-)

--Todd

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (10/17/89)

)>Me too. I'd like to at least allow a program to specify that it goes in the
)>top border of the window (SIZEBTOP):
)>								   Front
)>	Close                                                   Back | Size
)>	+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
)>	|()| Title                                               |//|\\|oO|
)>	|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
)>
)>This would let you have resizable windows that didn't waste 2 character columns
)>on the sizing gadget.
)
)
)Now this idea is great - so simple, but SO useful.  When I read this I thought
)"Now why didn't someone think of this years ago!? Why didn't *I* think of this?"

Great idea, except you can't make the window taller using the gadget.
Minor problem?
	jimm
--

In article <2940@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
[...]

One extra click without moving, in pathological situations?  Can live
with that.

And of course, in many other situations, what happens is the user clicks
on the wrong gadget and spends many mouse clicks getting through the
other windows to go fetch it.

We'll see how it all works and respond ...

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."
							- Justice Blackmun
Opinions are my own.  Comments are not to be taken as Commodore official policy.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/17/89)

(first posting was canceled, ugly spelling error)

Depth gadget?  What's that?  Oh, that thing that always gets obscured
by other windows.

Tom "Satisfied dMouse user" Limoncelli
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
P O Box 802       -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet
Madison, NJ 07940 -- 201-408-5389

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/17/89)

     For me, the need to click a second time to send a window to the back
isn't much of a hardship.  Most of the time I want to bring a window to the
front when I click its depth gadget.  On those occasions when I want to
push it to the back and it isn't already the front window I wouldn't mind
clicking twice.  Because it's the same gadget I wouldn't have to move the
mouse, so the effort is minimal.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) (10/17/89)

In article <IZCBZWy00UkaQFAPlV@andrew.cmu.edu> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
>barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>> In article <4703@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>> > [This is why you need only 1 depth gadget, not 2.]
>>         Picture three stacked windows, labelled 1, 2, and 3.  1 is on top of
>> 2, and 2 is on top of 3.  Window 1 covers exactly the left half of the
>> screen.  Window 2 covers the entire screen.  Window 3 covers exactly the
>> right half of the screen.
>>         The object is to display window 3, which is totally obscured by
>> window 2.
>>
>>         With the one-gadget system, what must you do?  Well, you can't click
>> on window 3 at all, so you click window 2's gadget.  Since window 2 is not
>> in front (window 1 is), it comes to the front.  Now click window 2 again
>> to send it to the back, thereby displaying window 3.
>>
>>         With the two-gadget system, you just click window 2's "back" gadget,
>> displaying window 3.
>
>You do need one more click-- but clicking twice instead of once is SO EASY,
>that it makes little difference.  In fact, I would bet that it's easier to do
>this than decide which of the two existing front<->back gadgets to click on.
>I know I'm always forgetting which one is which...

Ah, but the real problem is that if window 1 was SIMPLE_REFRESH, the
application would need to re-render the window, which could take a while.
Also, the extra layer activity will take much more time with MANY windows
open on the screen.  (I have had many times when I had 15 to 20 windows of
various types open on the workbench screen...)

This is not to say that the single gadget is bad or good.  It is different
and will cause a few problems.  What I really want is that the screen
front/back gadgets look different from the window front/back gadgets.
(They are, after all, a different beast...)

				-- Mike

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/17/89)

> )>	Close                                                   Back | Size
> )>	+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
> )>	|()| Title                                               |//|\\|oO|
> )>	|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

     I've puzzled over how this scheme would work myself.  I guess you
would grab the sizing gadget and be able to move the top and right borders
to resize the window.  So if you wanted to make the window taller you'd
have to drag it down first.  Is that right?

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/17/89)

     Here's a situation where the single depth gadget (brings window to the
front when selected unless the window is already at the front, in which
case it pushes it to the back) requires less work.

     You have three windows.  Window 1 is small.  Windows 2 and 3 are full
screen.  You want to leave Window 1 open but you are working mostly from 2
and 3.  You want to toggle between 2 and 3 frequently.  Right now the
windows are stacked (front to back) 2, 1, 3.  Presently, you push
2 to the back, then move the mouse and pop 3 to the front.  The single
depth gadget saves you the mouse move.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) (10/18/89)

I am quite eagerly looking forward to the new release, am most especially
looking forward for the new interface, but I'm not sure I like the sound of
this one button window depth mechanism.  Admittedly, as an Amiga owner of
four years standing I'm an "old dog", but I really think I'll be less
comfortable with a one button depth arranger.  I really like the control
I have with the two buttons.  I hope Commodore does some user interaction
testing like Apple did while they were designing the Mac's interface, to see
which is the more efficient, and which people prefer.

In any case, keep up the good work, crew.
  // /\   /\/\   | Jonathan Abbey - jonabbey@doc.cc.utexas.edu - (512) 926-5934
\X/ /  \ /    \  | Wanted: Programmers interested in 3d graphics/modem games.

I suggested moving the sizing gadget to the menu bar.

In article <4714@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
> Great idea, except you can't make the window taller using the gadget.

Why not? Oh, you have to move the title bar/drag gadget when you resize it,
and if it's already at the top of the screen you have to move the window down
first. Neither of these are a real problem... just a policy decision (if that).

> Minor problem?

Very minor.
--

In article <778@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>      I've puzzled over how this scheme would work myself.  I guess you
> would grab the sizing gadget and be able to move the top and right borders
> to resize the window.  So if you wanted to make the window taller you'd
> have to drag it down first.  Is that right?

Well, unless it was already at the bottom of the screen (like Browser's
root window) or at least in the middle (like the default location for a
new CLI). Presumably a program that defined SIZEBTOP would put it in a
convenient location in the first place. I've used window systems like this
before and it's not a problem.
--

michael@maui.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) (10/19/89)

In article <4386@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I suggested moving the sizing gadget to the menu bar.
>
>In article <4714@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>> Great idea, except you can't make the window taller using the gadget.
>
>Why not? Oh, you have to move the title bar/drag gadget when you resize it,
>and if it's already at the top of the screen you have to move the window down
>first. Neither of these are a real problem... just a policy decision (if that).

*GRR. <Why did I stop reading the group for a while?>

This will cause major problems if a window is resizable and not movable.
It will also cause problems if you want to shrink a window. Right now I
place my text window where I want the top, put some garbage text in,
and then shrink it until there is no wasted space at the bottom. Now
there is no way to shrink a window so that there is no wasted bottom space.

Besides, any growth/shrinkage must now be followed with a window move.

This sounds horrible.

Please, keep the size gadget in the corner, and do proper clipping/scrolling
so that we can get a 23 by 79 window that only scrolls when data is put in
the bottom corner. Or make the top size gadget a serperate option that
programs can request. Perhaps a preferences option to decide if
the system should map one size gadget to another size gadget.

(And how about my favorite beef: an option to force the top right corner of
screens (just one pixel) to be screen to front/back gaddgets, regardless
of windows).

			Michael

coco@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (felix.a.lugo) (10/19/89)

[ line eater, #$%$%^$@#$#$^$&^&* ]

	I don't really think it makes any difference if you have
	one or two depth gadgets.

	Consider the case where you have three windows, 1, 2, and 3.
	1 is on top, 2 is behind 1, and 3 behind 2.  2 is as big as
	the screen is, 1 and 3 are the same, but smaller than 2.

	Suppose you want to bring 3 to the front and that the windows
	have only one depth gadget.  You click on 2, which brings it
	to the front,  you click on 2 again to send it to the back,
	and then you click on window 3 to bring it to the front.

	If you had two gadgets;  you click on 2's back gadget, and
	then on 3's front gadget and voila!!

	You see, it's really a matter of taste and the conditions
	which you get into.

	A good idea would be to have a flag, lets say in Preferences,
	that selects which type of gadget you want to use in your
	windows.

	BTW, what about the front/back gadgets in screens?????

   Felix A. Lugo
   coco@ihlpy.att.com
   (312) 713-4374

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (10/19/89)

In some article or another, somebody wrote:
>> )>	Close                                                   Back | Size
>> )>	+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
>> )>	|()| Title                                               |//|\\|oO|
>> )>	|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>     I've puzzled over how this scheme would work myself.  I guess you
>would grab the sizing gadget and be able to move the top and right borders
>to resize the window.  So if you wanted to make the window taller you'd
>have to drag it down first.  Is that right?

The DECwindows window manager for X11 (which no one seems to particularly
like, mostly because it's a hog), has a scheme like this.  There's no close
gadget, and the iconize gadget is in the upper left corner.  The upper right
corner has the depth-arrangement and size gadgets.  The default behavior of
the depth-arrangement is window-to-back, while a click anywhere else in
the window does a window-to-front, but this can be changed (for each window
or the default can be changed) so that the depth-arrangement gadget brings
the window-to-front, unless it's already there, in which case it does a
window to back, and clicking elsewhere in the window set the focus but
does not bring the window to the front.

The size gadget works like this:  you click on the size gadget, hold the left
button down, and move the mouse out of the window.  Whatever edge you cross
follows the mouse.  If you want to resize the lower right corner, hit the
resize gadget and drag the mouse out the right border and down past the
bottom border, and the corner follows the mouse.  There's special case code
for when the window is at the edge of the screen which lets you still
resize the window, though you lose a bit of flexibility.

Other X11 window managers may have similar schemes--I know some of the
other ones have similar gadgets, but I haven't tried out all the various
window managers.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (10/19/89)

ja> I am quite eagerly looking forward to the new release, am most especially
ja> looking forward for the new interface, but I'm not sure I like the sound of
ja> this one button window depth mechanism.  Admittedly, as an Amiga owner of
ja> four years standing I'm an "old dog", but I really think I'll be less
ja> comfortable with a one button depth arranger.

Well, I'm an Amiga owner of only three years standing, so I can't
"pull rank", but I think the one-button depth arranger is a great idea.

ja> I hope Commodore does some user interaction
ja> testing like Apple did while they were designing the Mac's interface, to see
ja> which is the more efficient, and which people prefer.

I'm not sure Apple did enough testing.  Their interface is designed
around the assumption that you will be using a 9-inch screen (pulldown
menus, scrollbars on the righthand sides of windows instead of the
left, trashcan in the lower corner of the Finder display, scroll
arrows at opposite extremes of the scroll bar).  The Apple interface
becomes pretty difficult to use once you move to a Radius display, for
example.

The Apple file dialogs do not immediate indicate directory
structure, nor do they indicate the mechanism for moving around in the
directory hierarchy.  In user testing of applications software that I
performed for a class on user interface design, at least one of the
users (a Mac novice) was completely befuddled by the standard Mac file
dialog.

The modality of Mac dialogs is also a problem.  When a Mac dialog
appears on the screen, access to menus, other windows, and depth
arranging becomes impossible.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that the Mac interface is not the
usability dreamworld it is cracked up to be.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) (10/20/89)

From article <2344@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, by coco@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (felix.a.lugo):
> 	A good idea would be to have a flag, lets say in Preferences,
> 	that selects which type of gadget you want to use in your
> 	windows.

I think the answer is to have all of the gadgets and screen/window
layouts in preferences.  Let me decide where I want the gadgets to be.
There could be certain rules like, if I have one scrolling gadget, it
has two arrows.  If I have one front/back gadget it is a toggle.

It is even possible to allow the user to design the gadget that
performs the particular operation.  It is possible to do that with the
shape of the pointer now.  Why not use that editing facility (or
IconEd) to create the graphic that seems most appropriate.  The contact
points could be relocatable as the pointer is now.  Surely the code
in place now is not so inflexible that it could not be generalized
to accept all of the parameters for actions of the gadgets as simple
rectangles located somewhere in the screen/window rectangle!

--
-----
gregg.g.wonderly@att.com   (AT&T bell laboratories)

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (10/20/89)

> [Discussion about putting a size gadget in a window's title bar]
>
>Great idea, except you can't make the window taller using the gadget.
>Minor problem?
>	jimm

So what's the problem?  You just use the bottom boundary of the window as your
un-moving line, allowing the top boundary (title bar and all) to move freely.

(Frankly, I prefer the way sizing is done on my Sun.  Too bad I can't afford
one of these babys for use at home! :-)

| It doesn't matter how good a computer it is,   | Steve King  (312) 991-8056 |
| it can't multitask running anything and being  |   ...uunet!motcid!king     |
| turned off.                                    |   ...ddsw1!palnet!stevek   |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (10/20/89)

In article <4386@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I suggested moving the sizing gadget to the menu bar.

Great idea.  As you say, it'd save a lot of real estate in sizable
windows.

Several people have suggested various approaches that allow you to drag
any corner of a window to resize it.  I think we can all agree this is
desirable but, various approaches all have flaws.  The twm approach
(after selecting the gadget, the next corner of the window which the
mouse leaves becomes the one which is sized) is too confusing for
novices.  The OPEN LOOK/Motif approach of having sizing gadgets all
around the window is nice, but forces you to choose between wasting a
lot of real estate on wide gadgets or making it difficult to actually
hit narrow ones.

As usual, Xerox had a solution to this problem, as someone else pointed
out.  They had a way to move the pointer between corners of the area
being established for the window without changing the area.  It's kind
of hard to explain, but feels very natural.  On the Amiga, this could be
nicely done by using the sizing gadget as it is (whether at the top or
bottom of the window), but when you press the right mouse button (while
still holding the left button), you can move the mouse without moving
the corner of the window.  When you release the right button, the
pointer "snaps" to the nearest corner of the window, and you can
position that corner where you want it.

A nice addition to this, which Xerox doesn't have, is to actually have 8
drag points on the window, each corner and the center of each side.
When you release the right mouse button, the pointer would snap to the
nearest of these 8 points.  Adjusting a side point would let you adjust
a window's width or height without affecting the other.

Anyway, this sort of approach has the advantage of being backward
compatible:  if you don't hit the right mouse button while sizing, it's
just the same as now.  It also has the advantage of being simple for
novices (they just use the current system), but fast for experts
(individually place each corner of a window in one operation).

Comments?

--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

ralph@atrp.mit.edu (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) (10/20/89)

A greate idea was mentioned. The ability to change the images and locations
of gadgets on windows and screen in preferences. I like it.
Why not also allow the user to change the mapping of mouse clicks.

Case in point: Consider (when using the workbench) what you do most of
the time. That right, you double click nearly everything. Open this,
start that, etc.. Thus, this operation would be nice to map to a single
click. Reserve double click for more arcane stuff.

Now I know that most folks would say "Hey, that's incompatible!", but
this is where configurability comes in. I should have the option to
do it that way. Just think of this idea as a visual equivalent to
the command line oriented "alias" concept.
Thus I can "alias" visual features as I'd like them to be.
I think X-window offers this kind of ability.

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (10/21/89)

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
> The twm approach
>(after selecting the gadget, the next corner of the window which the
>mouse leaves becomes the one which is sized) is too confusing for
>novices.

   I guess I don't see why people (others have mentioned this also)
think the twm resizing technique is unintuitive. Once the cursor
changes shape, you move to the edge/corner you want to resize. When
you get to the border, it sticks to the cursor, and you resize as
appropriate. I have to admit that it took a few tries to get used to,
but that's only because I was so used to the Amiga/Mac way of
resizing.

   BTW, I think the most intuitive method is having a resizable border
all the way around the window, but this border *has* to be big, else it
is too hard to grab. And on the Amiga's small screen I'm certainly
not willing to give up the space!

   (The biggest trouble that twm has cause me is its iconification gadget.
On more than one occaision I've accidently quit amiga applications by
trying to iconify their windows 8-( )

  Jim

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (10/21/89)

[line eater food]

My $.02:

I don't use the front-back-front gadgets much so I can live with whatever
is decided and put into 1.4.  I use DMouse and would like to see the
equivalent DMouse functions in 1.4 - that would please me more.

I like the idea of a sizing gadget that allows the side(corner) crossed
by the mouse to move.  That strikes me as very intuitive and easy to
get used to.  What are the problems with that system?

After reading the comments to date, it seems clear to me that most
people want the sizing gadget changed so that the window doesn't have
to be moved to resize (which is the current way things work).

One suggestion was for preferences hold options for gadgets and
graphics of the gadgets.  While I am attracted to the idea(so I can
have it *MY* way), I think it is important that system gadgets be
all the same.  One of the strengths of Macintosh software is that it
all tends to look the same and users (the guys who pay for all the
software) like it that way.  Makes it easy for the casual user.  (like
my boss who can't quit raving about his Mac.)

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

Please excuse my use of the 'M' word, OK?

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (10/21/89)

	About your beef, I prefer another fix. Do what Mach II does and
let you use the Amiga-M key to flip through all the screens, not just between
WB and one other screen. Then you can always use Amiga-N to go to WB,
and still cycle through the screens with AMiga-M, even if they don't have
any screen depth gadgets. I also like MAch II's use of Amiga-J and Amiga-K
to let you flip forward and backward through the windows on a screen,
without having to use the mouse to select window depth gadgets.

	What I would like to see is the close, depth, and resize gadgets
from the "newlook" program installed as standard features, and also
revamp the absolutely horrible proportional gadget arrows. The present arrows
look like a 1st grader drew them, while almost every other program has
really nice arrows.

				Dave

You apparently missed one point of my suggestion... that it be selectable by
SIZEBTOP (a new flag), just as SIZEBRIGHT is selected today.

In article <28268@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> michael@maui.UUCP (michael gersten) writes:
> This will cause major problems if a window is resizable and not movable.

Then don't set SIZEBTOP on non-draggable windows. Really, no matter what you
do programmers will still make inconvenient design decisions. That a feature
can be misused is no reason to prohibit it.

If you're playing what if... what about resizable non-movable windows near the
bottom of the screen right now?

> It will also cause problems if you want to shrink a window. Right now I
> place my text window where I want the top, put some garbage text in,
> and then shrink it until there is no wasted space at the bottom.

So don't use SIZEBTOP on your text windows.

> Besides, any growth/shrinkage must now be followed with a window move.

Why?

> Please, keep the size gadget in the corner, and do proper clipping/scrolling
> so that we can get a 23 by 79 window that only scrolls when data is put in
> the bottom corner.

I don't have any idea what you mean by the reference to clipping and scrolling.
That's a function of console.device, not intuition.

A 23 by 79 window might be enough for you, but I can make a 24 by 80 window if
I can put the sizing gadget in the top.
--

In article <1275@quintus.UUCP> pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
> bottom of the window), but when you press the right mouse button (while
> still holding the left button), you can move the mouse without moving
> the corner of the window.  When you release the right button, the
> pointer "snaps" to the nearest corner of the window, and you can
> position that corner where you want it.

Yes, I have a comment.

*I LIKE IT* I forgot about this, but then I haven't touched a Star since 1982.
Wonderful machine. If the Lisa people had more than half a day playing with one
at NCC '81, we'd all be a LOT better off.

(hell, if we still had NCC...)
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`
``Back off dude! I'm a topologist!''
	-- Andrew Molitor <amolitor@eagle.wesleyan.edu>

pochron@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (10/21/89)

One simple solution to just about all of the problems which have been
discussed so far on this subject would simply be to do the unthinkable...
modify the INTUITIONBASE struct and just put your own gadget structs with new
images, positions, etc.

I wrote a nifty little assembly language program which does this, and if I
ever get the incentive to write a .doc file for it, I'll post it.  It basically
reads in a file from DEVS: called "intuition.config" and set up neat things
like a 3D alt-image'd close gadget.

Needless to say, probably won't work w/ 1.4, but works quite nicely w/
1.2 & 1.3.

       -- David M. Pochron  | "Life's a blit,

valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) (10/25/89)

In article <3397@puff.cs.wisc.edu> pochron@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) writes:
>One simple solution to just about all of the problems which have been
>discussed so far on this subject would simply be to do the unthinkable...
>modify the INTUITIONBASE struct and just put your own gadget structs with new
>images, positions, etc.
>
>I wrote a nifty little assembly language program which does this, and if I
>ever get the incentive to write a .doc file for it, I'll post it.

This is *guaranteed* not to work in future versions of the OS. In order to save
potential users of your software the agonizing pain of discovering
incompatibilities in their preferred utilities, I suggest you nicely write a
complete .doc file, provide examples and tutorials, package the stuff nicely
in a .zoo file, put it on a 100% certified error-free floppy, shrink-wrap the
thing, and drop it into the garbage can!  :-)

Valentin
--
"An  operating  system  without        Name:    Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating        Phone:   (215) 431-9100

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (10/25/89)

In article <3987@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) writes:
>I think the answer is to have all of the gadgets and screen/window
>layouts in preferences.  Let me decide where I want the gadgets to be.

This is a good idea, but it wouldn't go very far.  I don't think, for
example, that it could handle scroll bars, since there is no scrollbar
gadget (I know there's a prop gadget, scrollbars usually have a prop
gadget and a couple of boolean arrow gadgets).  The current gadgets are
at too low a level to meaningfully modify/customize/replace them.

Maybe this will be better in 1.4?

--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (10/27/89)

This is in reply to a bunch of messages; I'm not going to quote what's
already been quoted to death.

Wherever the sizing gadget is, it would be nice to be able to size and move
the window within the same operation.  Suppose the current sizing gadget is
augmented so that when BOTH buttons are pressed, it becomes a movement
gadget.  While sizing the window you would be able to move it, using the
same gadget as a "handle", by holding down the right button.  This would be
very convenient no matter where the sizing gadget was.  I agree that the
current location of the sizing gadget is best for text windows, and see no
compelling reason to move it for other types of windows, PROVIDED that it
takes up no window space.

How can this be done?  One way would be to use an additional small
layer/window for the sizing gadget, so that the entire window could be
rendered into.  This leaves the problem of the gadget's area being obscured.
Suppose the gadget is not actually rendered except when it's being used.  It
could be indicated by hash marks in the window border: | and rendered only
when the mouse was within the gadget and the left      | button was pressed.
Unfortunately, this would probably be less than        | intuitive. It would
also prevent mouse clicks from being transmitted       : to the application
within the gadget's area.  On the other hand, -------..+ it would remove the
need for a separate layer, which would probably be much better from a
performance standpoint.  I suppose the gadget could also pass on a mouse
click if A) no sizing was actually done (the mouse didn't move while the
button was clicked) and possibly B) it was held down for a sufficiently
short time, probably the Preferences double-click time.

With this scheme it would be desirable for an application to be able to
specify whether the gadget should be rendered (and take up a row and a column
of the window) or not (and possibly confuse novice users) OR "no preference".
Most programs would use "no preference" -- especially since it'd be the
default, so all current programs would use it.  An option would be added to
Preferences to let the user specify the default behavior.

I see no problem at all with a single front/back gadget.  It will cause a
few extra mouse clicks here and there; will undoubtably save some there and
here; but that all comes out in the wash.  It WILL be a lot easier to use.
I still screw up on which gadget to use, after 4 years.

I doubt any of this discussion has any bearing on what will actually happen
in 1.4 -- isn't a little bit late to be designing the system when it's
already in alpha-test?

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CompuServe: 73047,1112
     @       * *     //   ....ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo  ^^^-VERY slow [months]
R Pentomino    *   \X/    Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 & XBBS +408-476-4945

In article <3397@puff.cs.wisc.edu> David Pochron writes:
> One simple solution to just about all of the problems which have been
> discussed so far on this subject would simply be to do the unthinkable...
> modify the INTUITIONBASE struct and just put your own gadget structs with new
> images, positions, etc.

> Needless to say, probably won't work w/ 1.4, but works quite nicely w/
> 1.2 & 1.3.

There are at least two PD programs that do this: NewLook and 3DLook.  I have
NewLook running in my system; I think it looks tons better than regular
Intuition.  I don't really give a hoot whether it'll work with 1.4 -- if
not, I will just stop running it.  It's not as if anything depends on it.  I
can't imagine there being any problems with it in current AmigaDOS versions:
as far as I can tell, it just overwrites some bitmaps.  Either it finds and
correctly overwrites them, or the system dies.  The system doesn't die, so
it's working.

What I >would< like is a version of NewLook that let you supply your own
gadget images instead of living with what the author thought was nice.  I
haven't seen source to it anywhere...?  Likewise I'd like to see source to
KickFont -- I think Topaz-8 is atrocious, but the Pearl (?) font that is
supplied in KickFont is considerably WORSE...