[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Zmodem for UNIX

ummouss2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (10/20/89)

A number of people lately have been asking about PD file transfer utilities
for UNIX ie. Zmodem, Xmodem etc.  I have a set of PD programs that I use on
our SUN/4 (Zmodem, Ymodem, Xmodem).  If anyone wants them send me a message
and I will mail them out in a uuemcoded-zoo.  The include source in C and
full documentation so the file is kinda big.

Marc Mousseau
ummouss2@ccu.umanitoba.ca

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (10/21/89)

In article <1989Oct19.170737.25014@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ummouss2@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
   A number of people lately have been asking about PD file transfer utilities
   for UNIX ie. Zmodem, Xmodem etc.  I have a set of PD programs that I use on
   our SUN/4 (Zmodem, Ymodem, Xmodem).  If anyone wants them send me a message
   and I will mail them out in a uuemcoded-zoo.  The include source in C and
   full documentation so the file is kinda big.

Also available via ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu as /pub/rzsz.zoo (though
this copy may be out of date by now).

	...tad

GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET (10/21/89)

While on the subject of X, Y, and Z modem protocols, has any one ever seen/used
any of these under CMS on an IBM mainframe?  Kermit is terribly frustrating
and something like this would be helpful to many I'm sure.

Any info is much appreciated, thanks.

                                         Dominic Giampaolo
                                         giampal@auvm.bitnet

valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) (10/25/89)

In article <89294.123406GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET> GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET writes:
>While on the subject of X, Y, and Z modem protocols, has any one ever seen/used
>any of these under CMS on an IBM mainframe?  Kermit is terribly frustrating
>and something like this would be helpful to many I'm sure.

The problem with transfering files to and from IBM mainframes is that characters
on the IBM side are not stored in ASCII format but trather in EBCDIC
(pronounced "epsodic") format. The result is that only a character based
transfer, such as Kermit, can do the job.

Valentin
--
"An  operating  system  without        Name:    Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating        Phone:   (215) 431-9100

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (10/26/89)

In article <8259@cbmvax.UUCP> valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
   In article <89294.123406GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET> GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET writes:
   >While on the subject of X, Y, and Z modem protocols, has any one
   >ever seen/used any of these under CMS on an IBM mainframe?  Kermit
   >is terribly frustrating and something like this would be helpful
   >to many I'm sure.

   The problem with transfering files to and from IBM mainframes is
   that characters on the IBM side are not stored in ASCII format but
   trather in EBCDIC (pronounced "epsodic") format. The result is that
   only a character based transfer, such as Kermit, can do the job.

This happens only if you request character set translation to occur.
If you do a binary transfer, you should be able to transfer .ZOO files
and such as unformatted binary files under CMS...

Since some protocol converters can become ``transparent'' (as if done
with CMS Kermit), it seems reasonable that someone could write a
zyx-modem program for CMS...

	...tad

steve@ntmtka.mn.org (Steve Wahl) (11/01/89)

In article <TADGUY.89Oct25132145@offa.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>In article <8259@cbmvax.UUCP> valentin@cbmvax.UUCP (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>   In article <89294.123406GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET> GIAMPAL@AUVM.BITNET writes:
>   >While on the subject of X, Y, and Z modem protocols, has any one
>   >ever seen/used any of these under CMS on an IBM mainframe?  Kermit
>   >is terribly frustrating and something like this would be helpful
>   >to many I'm sure.

>   The problem with transfering files to and from IBM mainframes is
>   that characters on the IBM side are not stored in ASCII format but
>   trather in EBCDIC (pronounced "epsodic") format.

>This happens only if you request character set translation to occur.

>Since some protocol converters can become ``transparent'' (as if done
>with CMS Kermit), it seems reasonable that someone could write a
>zyx-modem program for CMS...
>
>	...tad

When this problem was explained to me, we were using an IBM 7171 protocol
converter. When it was in transparent mode it would pass characters
transparently but still required an end-of-line character; this makes sense
to me because IBM mainframes talk in half-duplex and need some indication of
when to turn the line around.  Kermit uses an end of line indicator; I know
xmodem doesn't, am fairly sure that ymodem doesn't either, and I would bet
a very small sum of change that zmodem doesn't since it seems to have
descended from the others.  I think this all means that you can't use
[xyz]modem with IBM mainframes without a new form of protocol converter
or actually re-programming the current protocol converters.  Maybe someone
who knows more about this than I can explain better...

--> steve

--
Steve Wahl
Northern Telecom, Inc.       (612) 932-8079