[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Fast OverScan-Dual Playfield-Double-buffering under Intuition

jheintz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jim Heintz) (10/31/89)

Up until now I have been accomplishing the above monstrocity(see Subject-
Line), by creating my own views, viewports, bitmaps, rastports, and rasinfos,
however, now the need has arisen to make this neat display work under intuition
(i.e. be able to pull the thing down, like an intuition screen, that's it).

I have the code posted by Rob Peck demoing Intuition dual-playfield,
and it takes care of the dual-playfiels part. I also have opened overscan
intuition screens.  The delema seems to be that I can't do the
ViewPort swap trick that I was doing without intuition.

I just read the reply made to the question about double buffering, and I
will try that when I get home.  Maybe that'll do it.

Jim.

--
{============================================================================}
{   Jim Heintz			|  Work,workworkworkworkworkworkworkworkwork }

jheintz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jim Heintz) (11/01/89)

I guess the question is, can I somehow incorporate my own View structure
within the intuition screen structure (1.4+ wish) , and then somehow
merge the intuition View with my View and ViewPorts, and then
LoadView(intuiview).

There is probably some good reason why this can't be, but would'nt it
be nice.  Just think, we could have our cake and eat it too.  Intuition's
Screen system, and LoadView's incredible speed.  In the event that this is
already possible, somebody please clue me in.

Thanks,
Jim.

--
{============================================================================}

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (11/02/89)

jheintz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jim Heintz) writes:

>I guess the question is, can I somehow incorporate my own View structure
>within the intuition screen structure (1.4+ wish) , and then somehow
>merge the intuition View with my View and ViewPorts, and then
>LoadView(intuiview).

Since Screens are viewports to the graphics system, you can only
incorporate your viewports as intuition screens.

Things are easy.
Your viewports show some kind of bitplanes and sprites and may do
some fancy copper actions.

Open a screen (with the correct resolution to show your bitmaps).
You may specify CUSTOMBITMAP to show precalculated images.
Create your UserCopLists and put them into the screen's viewport structure.
A MakeScreen and RethinkDisplay will show the results.

To doublebuffer your screen you have to swap the RasInfo pointer in the
screen's viewport structure to the new RasInfo, MakeScreen and RethinkDisplay.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv