[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga and WB 1.4

ccs007@castor (Jonathan Sims) (11/01/89)

  I read in Computer Buyers Guide that when WB1.4 comes out that a
daughterboard that has kickstart in rom and has the ECS on it, will
be released for the A1000 for about 600$. Anyone else heard about
this?

cogswell@egrunix.UUCP (Dan Cogswell) (11/01/89)

In article <5766@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ccs007@castor (Jonathan Sims) writes:

>  I read in Computer Buyers Guide that when WB1.4 comes out

[stuff deleted]

BTW, What exactly IS the status of WB1.4??  I haven't heard anything in a
couple of months.

klt@utgard.uucp (Ken Thompson) (11/03/89)

In article <5766@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ccs007@castor (Jonathan Sims) writes:

>  I read in Computer Buyers Guide that when WB1.4 comes out that a
>daughterboard that has kickstart in rom and has the ECS on it, will
>be released for the A1000 for about 600$. Anyone else heard about
>this?

   There is an aritcle in this months Amazing Computing about such a board.
It has been more than a day since I read it so I don't remember any of the
details, but it looks like those of us with 1000s won't be SOL when 1.4 does
come out, whenever that may be...

kt

Thor: O Grand Vizer, what canst thou tell me of far Utgard?
GV:   Beware, Thunder God. Look not directly upon the denizens of Utgard,
      for they are sore ugly.                   Ken Thompson   csusac!utgard!klt

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (11/04/89)

	It sounds like what you read about is the Rejuvinator. It is not
from C=, and it does not need 1.4 to be used. It will work just fine with
1.3.

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (11/05/89)

[line eater food]

The product is called the Rejuvinator and it is a product designed by
Gregory Tibbs.  He has two running and is trying to get financial
backing for production.  He estimates $600 but the price will be
dependent on the price of the new chip set from Commodore.  If they cut
him some slack he thinks the price could be $500.

Basically, one removes the old WCS daughterboard from a 1000 and the
old custom chips.  The Rejuvinator plugs into the same sockets as did
the WCS but it also plugs into the custom chip sockets.  The new chips
plug into sockets on the Rejuvinator.  1 Meg of Chip Ram is on the
Rejuvinator and motherboard Ram is either 512K of fast ram or 256K
Fast Ram and 256K of WCS.  Oh yes, there are ROM sockets on the
Rejuvinator so that is the reason for giving an option to the mother-
board RAM.  The option is a miniplug on the current board but it may
become a miniswitch mounted on the back so that flipping the switch
and rebooting changes the motherboard ram set-up.

Gregory says he is working with Lucas/Frances and he has a Lucas working
with his Rejuvinator now.  It may mean reselecting the 7474's for timing
again.

In addition to all this, he includes a subset of the video slot.  A
Flicker-Fixer can plug in here.  Gregory says that the Rejuvinator
owners will have to choose between using the video slot and Frances
since they both need space in the back left corner of the machine.

There is more information in Amazing Volume 4, issue 10.  (Thanks to
them, that is where I got the information in this message.)

I can't wait to see one for myself.

Dana