[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Automatic window clipping

bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) (11/07/89)

    I'm writing a structed graphics program that allows unlimited zoom
(simply changing scaling factors) and until recently could count on the
automatic clipping the graphics library does using the Layer limits.
However, when I start to draw line WAY off the screen (>several thousand
pixels) two things start happening:

	1) the lines become jagged when they appear on the screen
	2) eventually the machine dies or the program freezes in a state
	   of intense CPU usage.

    I realize what I should do is test the endpoints of each line I draw
and not draw the ones too far off, however, I'd like to know a few things:

	1) What are the exact limits to the gfx lib clipping?
	2) Does is make a difference if the number you pass "Draw()"
	   is great than a WORD variable will allow?
	3) Why does the machine die?  Does it have to do with the line
	   drawing being done in hardware?

I couldn't find anything in the RKMs about this and I hope it isn't a
case of RTFM.   Thanks much,
		Ben "struggling starving student stereotype"

owl@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (11/08/89)

In article <12540@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
> [...]
> However, when I start to draw line WAY off the screen (>several thousand
> pixels) two things start happening:
>
> 	1) the lines become jagged when they appear on the screen
> 	2) eventually the machine dies or the program freezes in a state
> 	   of intense CPU usage.

I had the same thing happen, in a function drawing program ...

>     I realize what I should do is test the endpoints of each line I draw
> and not draw the ones too far off, however, I'd like to know a few things:
>
> 	1) What are the exact limits to the gfx lib clipping?
> 	2) Does is make a difference if the number you pass "Draw()"
> 	   is great than a WORD variable will allow?

Yes ... If you keep your values inside the limits for a WORD all will work
well.

> I couldn't find anything in the RKMs about this and I hope it isn't a
> case of RTFM.   Thanks much,
> 		Ben "struggling starving student stereotype"

David Gay
Now at: dg3i+@andrew.cmu.edu after hopping across the pond ...