[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Help with Line F emulation and A590

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (11/03/89)

Since I put an A590 on my A1000, I've been getting regular visits
from the Guru.  Specifically, 0000000B.00C0279A.  It's always
00C0279A.  I know that the B means "Line F (1111) Emulation", but
just what is line F emulation?  All the books I've found on the
68000 say something like "line A and line F emulation are beyond
the scope of this book, and you won't ever need to know about it
anyway."  Humph!  Do I have faulty memory at 00C0279A?  If I allocated
this RAM (somehow?) and didn't free it, would that keep other
programs from using it and thereby avoid the Guru?  Would grounding
my PALs help?  (I plan to do this anyway--Thanks Bill Dirks!)
The "C0.." memory is 1.5Mb on a Spirit Tech. board which pluggs into
the processor socket.  Is this unit Ok to use with the A590?  It's
worked fine for a couple of years without the disk.  I can live with
the occasional Guru, but my wife needs a reliable system and I would
really like to keep the hard disk.
   Comments and suggestions are welcome.
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet                 _buy_ them.
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

mph@behemoth.phx.mcd.mot.com (Mark Huth) (11/08/89)

F line emulation is a technique which allows instruction set extension
on the 68xxx family.  An F-line exception occurs when an instruction
with the first nybble of the opcode is F (1111 binary).  The exception
handler is entered, which may then examine the rest of the instruction
and emulate just about anything you'd like.  Getting an F-line
exception in normal code is usually the result of jumping to a word
which isn't actually an instruction boundary.  It may also be caused
by faulty memory, which returns Fxxx instead of the correct value.
Additionally, the FPU opcodes reside in the Fline space, so if you
have inline FPU operations, they will trap, allowing software
emulation.

Hope that helps.

Mark Huth

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (11/09/89)

[I was getting Line F emulation gurus on an A1000 after adding
 an A590 hard disk.]

In article <11965@behemoth.phx.mcd.mot.com>, mph@behemoth.phx.mcd.mot.com (Mark Huth) writes:
> F line emulation is a technique which allows instruction set extension
> on the 68xxx family.  An F-line exception occurs when an instruction
> with the first nybble of the opcode is F (1111 binary).  The exception
  [...]
> Hope that helps.
>
> Mark Huth

Thanks, Mark.  That does help.  It explains that problem and several
others I was having, all of which have cleared up just fine after
grounding my PALs.  The A590 is a sweet little unit.  I may even
pick up a few RAM chips for it soon.
  Thanks for the explanation,
  Todd M. Lewis