[comp.sys.amiga.tech] timezone

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (11/10/89)

In article <3753@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>I think it would be useful in the future to have a field in
>preferences describing your timezone.

This is a good idea.

>This would allow programs that need UTC to
>get to it without fouling up older programs or programs
>that don't care.

It would also make it possible for the battery-backed clock time to be
stored in UTC, eliminating the need to reset the time when daylight
savings time begins or ends.  The setclock program would convert between
UTC and local time; no other programs would need to be changed.  A new
timer.device call should be added to fetch the current UTC time.

This would make use of the time-of-day clock more straightforward when
running Unix on the Amiga, and under AmigaDos it would facilitate
communication using various network protocols (such as NFS) that expect
timestamps in GMT.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"A just machine to make big decisions	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
programmed by fellows with compassion	ditto@amix.commodore.com
and vision." - Donald Fagen, "IGY"	uunet!cbmvax!ditto
					ford@kenobi.commodore.com