[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Advantages of keeping binaries out of S:

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (11/13/89)

In article <0ZKoagy00UkaFnd_R7@andrew.cmu.edu> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
>new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
:: In article <3260@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
:: >Selecting "user-supplied" would read the IFF 8SVX file "S:BeepSound"
:: >and use it as the beep.
:: No, no, no!  Keep S: for scripts.  Put it in DEVS:BeepSound.  -- Darren
:
: Why is a sound-sample any more appropiate in "devs:" (devices) than in
: "s:"???????

If you have ever done anything like "search S: mount" or "grep mount s:*",
you can see the advantage of not putting binary files in a directory
that you expect to have only text files.  I used to have the executable
binary for DirMaster in the same directory its data files until I got
hit by this problem.  Keeping only human-readable ASCII files in directories
full of configuration files is a lot "cleaner".

The world won't come to an end if you put binary files in S:, but it is
not esthetically pleasing.  ("A place for everything, and everything
in its place.)

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (11/13/89)

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
> In article <0ZKoagy00UkaFnd_R7@andrew.cmu.edu> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) \
> writes:
> >new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
> :: In article <3260@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
> :: >Selecting "user-supplied" would read the IFF 8SVX file "S:BeepSound"
> :: >and use it as the beep.
> :: No, no, no!  Keep S: for scripts.  Put it in DEVS:BeepSound.  -- Darren
> :
> : Why is a sound-sample any more appropiate in "devs:" (devices) than in
> : "s:"???????
>
> If you have ever done anything like "search S: mount" or "grep mount s:*",
> you can see the advantage of not putting binary files in a directory
> that you expect to have only text files.  I used to have the executable
> binary for DirMaster in the same directory its data files until I got
> hit by this problem.  Keeping only human-readable ASCII files in directories
> full of configuration files is a lot "cleaner".
>
> The world won't come to an end if you put binary files in S:, but it is
> not esthetically pleasing.  ("A place for everything, and everything
> in its place.)

I'm not arguing for putting a beep in S:, I'm arguing AGAINST putting it in
devs:, which has a clear purpose.  Make up a new standard place, like "lib:"
or something, for keeping misc data.

-Miles