[comp.sys.amiga.tech] New: Problems with Formatting 1224 contiguous cylinders on a Maxtor Drive

sft@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (scott.thompson) (11/17/89)

In article <0445.AA0445@noel> greg@noel.CTS.COM (J. Gregory Noel) writes:
>Rick Flower (rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com) writes:
>>Well, I just borrowed a large Maxtor drive from a friend and was in the
>>process of formatting it and before it would finish, it would crash the entire
>>system -- not to the GURU level though..
>
>I had this same problem with a Maxtor "1224" cylinder disk I got via Newbury
>Data.  I ended up having to call the factory about it.  It turns out that the
>last two cylinders are reserved for use by the controller for spare tracks,
>control information, and so forth, so that you can only use 1222 cylinders.

First, I also had the same problem, my drive would always stop with 47
cylinders to go; lowering the head count and raising the blocks per track
seems to do the trick.

Now for another problem.  I have my large Maxtor drive connected to a
Commodore 2090 controller.  I decided to change some partition sizes, so
I updated the mountlist and began re-preping each partition; while
preping the last partition my amiga GURU'd and rebooted, for another
reason.  Now the machine hangs at the BindDrivers call in my
startup-sequence when the drive is turned on, therefore I cannot Mount
any partition to re-prep the drive.  How can I get around this problem.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
--
  Scott Thompson, 45261, (IH 6W-207), AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il. 60566

            VOICE: (312)-979-2237     UUCP: ...!att!ihlpa!sft