[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ^G in WorkBench 1.4

clp@altos86.Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) (11/08/89)

Can somebody *please* make the ctrl-g in WB 1.4 generate a beep?
I have this nifty 40watt stereo AMP setup just for my Amiga 2000
speaker system, yet the silly thing can't generate a simple "beep".

I use VI on a terminal most the time, but occasionally use it on
the amiga.  On a terminal when I realize I had just typed
too many ESC's; I find myself cringing waiting for the subsequent
audible ctrl-g just because on the Amiga a ctrl-g transforms
the monitor into an orange light bazooka which fires a full blast
into my face.  Somebody please fix this.  I want VI to give
me my "beep" in a frequency I can hear; not one I can see.

Chuck L. Peterson
clp@altos.com

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (11/08/89)

>Can somebody *please* make the ctrl-g in WB 1.4 generate a beep?  I
>have this nifty 40watt stereo AMP setup just for my Amiga 2000
>speaker system, yet the silly thing can't generate a simple "beep".
>Somebody please fix this.  I want VI to give me my "beep" in a
>frequency I can hear; not one I can see.

While I have to admit it would be very nice to have such a feature in
1.4, I'm not holding my breath. As a matter of fact, I hope they don't
just fix it so when the beep routine is called it gives a "beep". I
use installbeep with the filter turned off and with a sample I lifted
out of the binary of some game. It's very nice, and sounds infinitely
better than what I've heard the Mac do with such. I hope that if they
patch DisplayBeep() they at least provide for a sample to be installed
instead of just having a random beep tone.....
--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>

                       What noisy cats are we.

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (11/09/89)

In article <3742@altos86.Altos.COM> clp@altos86.Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:
>Can somebody *please* make the ctrl-g in WB 1.4 generate a beep?
>I have this nifty 40watt stereo AMP setup just for my Amiga 2000
>speaker system, yet the silly thing can't generate a simple "beep".

How about a gadget in preferences, with which you can change the volume
of the beep, and when this is zero you will get a flashing screen ?
It would also be possible to load a neat sampled IFF-file (Of course)

To quote someones elses .sig (Sorry, i forgot who :^)
    If I was driving a Macintosh, I would have to stop before turning the weel!

Greetings:
    BeO@maestro.htsa.aha.nl             Jan van Veen, Amsterdam.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (11/10/89)

In article <1159@maestro.htsa.aha.nl> beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) writes:
>How about a gadget in preferences, with which you can change the volume
>of the beep, and when this is zero you will get a flashing screen ?
>It would also be possible to load a neat sampled IFF-file (Of course)

	How about a 3-way gadget in Preferences like this?

        |     BEEP      |     FLASH       |     USER-SUPPLIED     |

	Selecting "beep" would cause ^G to be a short sine-tone "blip".
Selecting "flash" would cause ^G to flash the screen as it does now.
Selecting "user-supplied" would read the IFF 8SVX file "S:BeepSound"
and use it as the beep.
	Perhaps S:BeepSound would be required to be a one-shot sample
with duration less than 0.5 seconds, or something like that.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett     -      Systems Administrator, Computer Science Department |
| The Johns Hopkins University, 34th and Charles Sts., Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | BITNET: barrett@jhuvms.bitnet  |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) (11/10/89)

In article <3260@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:

>>In article <3742@altos86.Altos.COM> clp@altos86.Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:
>>>Can somebody *please* make the ctrl-g in WB 1.4 generate a beep?
>
>In article <1159@maestro.htsa.aha.nl> beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) writes:
>>How about a gadget in preferences, with which you can change the volume
>>of the beep, and when this is zero you will get a flashing screen ?
>>It would also be possible to load a neat sampled IFF-file (Of course)
>
>	How about a 3-way gadget in Preferences like this?
>
>        -----------------------------------------------------------
>        |     BEEP      |     FLASH       |     USER-SUPPLIED     |
>        -----------------------------------------------------------

What you really want, for true flexability, is something like this:

  /-\
 |   |  Enable Visual Beep
  \-/

  /-\                                 +----------------------------+
 |   |  Enable Audio Beep       File: |                            |
  \-/                                 +----------------------------+

This way, you can have audio or visual beeps, or both.

|  Mark Waggoner   (408) 721-6306           waggoner@dtg.nsc.com     |

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (11/10/89)

In article <3260@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>Selecting "user-supplied" would read the IFF 8SVX file "S:BeepSound"
>and use it as the beep.
No, no, no!  Keep S: for scripts.  Put it in DEVS:BeepSound.  -- Darren

In article <3260@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
> 	Perhaps S:BeepSound would be required to be a one-shot sample
> with duration less than 0.5 seconds, or something like that.

Why? A sample is a sample. If I want the beep to have Tweety-Bird saying "Paw
Puddy-tat faw down" that's my business.

Right now I just use SetBeep, which SetFunctions DisplayBeep.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-' "IT'S THE TWO GODDAMNED CULTURES AGAIN !*! Bit-brained nerdery on one

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (11/11/89)

In article <4518@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Why? A sample is a sample. If I want the beep to have Tweety-Bird saying "Paw
>Puddy-tat faw down" that's my business.

	Mainly to make the software a little idiot-proof.  I have seen
plenty of programs that allow multiple control-G's to get sent quickly.
If the "beep" sound is long, should it (a) restart as it receives each
^G, (b) overlap itself, using the other audio channels, (c) ignore ^G's
that occur while a previous ^G is still playing, (d) play them one right
after the other, with the end of one sound going into the beginning of the
next?

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (11/11/89)

new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
> In article <3260@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
> >Selecting "user-supplied" would read the IFF 8SVX file "S:BeepSound"
> >and use it as the beep.
> No, no, no!  Keep S: for scripts.  Put it in DEVS:BeepSound.  -- Darren

Why is a sound-sample any more appropiate in "devs:" (devices) than in
"s:"???????

-Miles

gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) (11/11/89)

>> No, no, no!  Keep S: for scripts.  Put it in DEVS:BeepSound.  -- Darren

>Why is a sound-sample any more appropiate in "devs:" (devices) than in
>"s:"???????
>-Miles

Since the subject came up, let me say that I wish no one would
hard-code their programs to use any system-defined directories to find
auxilliary files.  When someone does this, I have to put the
auxilliary file there whether I like it or not.  So, for example,
bison skeletons go in s:.  Well, I want to put s: on my rad: disk, but
I don't want to have the bison skeleton taking up space all the time.
Why not have bison look at (say) SKEL:, then I could, if I wanted, say

assign SKEL: s:

or whatever, thus allowing ME to put the file where I want it.  This
seems to make more sense.  I really appeal to program writers, don't
use system directories for auxilliary files unless for things where
they have to go there.

-Fred Gilham gilham@csl.sri.com

In article <3271@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
> 	Mainly to make the software a little idiot-proof.  I have seen
> plenty of programs that allow multiple control-G's to get sent quickly.

I don't believe in arbitrarily limiting software to make it idiot-proof.
The two biggest bitches I have with some of the more recent versions of
UNIX are this sort of idiot-proofing. Like refusing to create a file if
you specify more than 14 characters. Warn the user if the sample is long,
but if they insist then you've done your duty.
--

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (11/12/89)

In article <3271@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>In article <3260@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>> 	Perhaps S:BeepSound would be required to be a one-shot sample
>>> with duration less than 0.5 seconds, or something like that.
>
>If the "beep" sound is long, should it (a) restart as it receives each
>^G, (b) overlap itself, using the other audio channels, (c) ignore ^G's
>that occur while a previous ^G is still playing, (d) play them one right
>after the other, with the end of one sound going into the beginning of the
>next?

If I had anything to say about it, the successive ^G's would pre-empt the
currently playing 'beep' and restart it...  options (b) and (d) are certainly
unacceptable, and (c) is not really the best.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (11/13/89)

	I agree. I hare it when people use system directories (s: is the
worst) to look for their files. The only argument that even makes a little
sense is that it allows them to have a "normal" boot disk come up with the
directories assigned. This still makes no sense however, as there are
several ways inside the program itself they could handle situations where
it comes up without the desired directory being assigned. I think that
if a program needs files, it should

	1) Look in the CD first
	2) If it can't find the file there, it should then check the
		assigned directory, if any
	3) FINALLY check the AmigaDOS assigned dir.

Nag is another one that uses the s: dir for things other than scripts,
and creates many files in s: to boot...

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (11/13/89)

In article <3271@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>If the "beep" sound is long, should it (a) restart as it receives each ^G,
>(b) overlap itself, using the other audio channels, (c) ignore ^G's that
>occur while a previous ^G is still playing, (d) play them one right afterf
>the other, with the end of one sound going into the beginning of the next?

One of my favorite terminals has a 4-bit counter.  When a Control-G arrives,
it increments the counter, maxing out at 15.  Whenever the counter is
nonzero, it triggers a bell circuit that outputs a "bong", then a short
period of silence, then decrements the counter.  The end result is that two
consecutive ^G's produce two distinct bongs, instead of one continuous
tone.  (I hate terminals that cut the first tone short when the second one
comes along.)  With this hardware "multitasking" the terminal can print
and beep at the same time.

On the Amiga, something like this would allow a program that has requested
two or more bells to exit (RemTask) before the tones were complete, and
do so without causing a guru.  I.e., ReplyMsg when the counter is incremented
instead of after the requested audio sample is done.  The BEEP task can take
its own sweet time in getting around to playing the sample and decrementing
the counter, without holding up the requesting task.

A BEEP task really needs only 3 functions: 1) increment the counter (which
triggers a beep (eventually)), 2) reset the counter and abort the current
audio sample (to stop the cacophony), and 3) commit suicide (after freeing up
all resources).
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (11/13/89)

In article <3271@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>and In several articles several people write a lot:
>	Mainly to make the software a little idiot-proof.  I have seen
>plenty of programs that allow multiple control-G's to get sent quickly.
>If the "beep" sound is long, should it (a) restart as it receives each
>^G, (b) overlap itself, using the other audio channels, (c) ignore ^G's
>that occur while a previous ^G is still playing, (d) play them one right
>after the other, with the end of one sound going into the beginning of the
>next?

Let's make a SOUND: directory, which has a default of S: or DEVS: when
not specified, and some kinda mountlist (like) file (Sountlist ? :^) In
which you can specify above options.
It would also be nice, if, optionally of course, a list of soundnames can
be read from which a sound can be played at random.
(*8  Any more suggestions ?  8*)

Greetings: Jan van Veen, beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (beo de peo)

jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (11/15/89)

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the InstallBeep program that was
posted to comp.binaries.amiga a few months ago.  You hand it a sound file,
and it uses SetPatch to change the screen-flashing function to play that
sound instead.  It multitasks, so if two beeps happen in close proximity,
they overlap (that is, until all sound channels are allocated, after which
it flashes the screen instead).  So if you had a one-channel sound, and
beeped five times, you'd get a quadruple-echoed sound as well as a
screen-flash.  Works out pretty nicely (my beep is a nice soothing
bonnnngggg that HAL made in 2001).

		-- Jamie

Yes, I use SetBeep, and there are other programs out there that do as well.
But it'd be nice if *new users* of the machine didn't have to put up with
the silent bell. It'd cut one program from the PD disk I hand out to everyone
I talk into buying an Amiga (I should get royalties at this rate).
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (11/20/89)

In article <77@dtg.nsc.com> waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) writes:
>What you really want, for true flexability, is something like this:
>
>  /-\
> |   |  Enable Visual Beep
>  \-/
>
>  /-\                                 +----------------------------+
> |   |  Enable Audio Beep       File: |                            |
>  \-/                                 +----------------------------+
>
>This way, you can have audio or visual beeps, or both.

Ahem.  Ok, Mark, lets really kiss the future and change even that a little -
        subliminally pop a backdrop image:

  |   |  Enable Visual Beep      File: |i.e., GreatfulDead.ilbm.res |

  |   |  Enable Audio Beep       File: |                            |

That way I'd REALLY know I did something wrong! (Hello Greg Woods).

					Howard Hull
					hull@hao.ucar.edu