[comp.sys.amiga.tech] AT Bridge can't find lib.

amercer@eve.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (11/15/89)

Got a couple of Bridge board question.

We have three A2500's with the AT Bridge board & Janus v2 software.
From time to time when attempting to bring up the PC software, we will
get a "library not found" error message.  The only way we've found
to get the sucker working is a reboot of the Amiga.  This is happening
with all 3 machines.  I got the gumption to post this cause I just had
a student in my office with a brand new A2000 that's (mis)behaving in
the same fashion.  This problem has seemed to occur randomly, so we
haven't been able to trace a common cause.

Any clues?

The second minor nasty occurs with using the Amiga PC services.
We have 3Com 3C503 ethernet boards witth start PROMS on the PC
side and after (re)-booting, the PC side cannot find the Amiga
services.  Says they're not running.  If, HOWEVER, we do a DIR a:
all is well!  Since we have a work around for this one it's more
of an inconvience than anything else, but it doesn't look good
when the tinted blue bosses are around...

Hopefully CATS is listening.

Art Mercer
Associate Director, Academic Computing Resources
040T Library Annex
Wright State University
Col Glenn Hwy.
Dayton, OH 45435

Reply to above or

BITNET:  amercer@wsu.bitnet

---

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (11/18/89)

In article <840@thor.wright.EDU> amercer@eve.wright.edu (Art Mercer) writes:

>We have three A2500's with the AT Bridge board & Janus v2 software.
>From time to time when attempting to bring up the PC software, we will
>get a "library not found" error message.  The only way we've found
>to get the sucker working is a reboot of the Amiga.  This is happening
>with all 3 machines.  I got the gumption to post this cause I just had
>a student in my office with a brand new A2000 that's (mis)behaving in
>the same fashion.  This problem has seemed to occur randomly, so we
>haven't been able to trace a common cause.
>
>Any clues?

     I have a 2500 with an AT bridge board (Janus v2), and talked the
people at work into getting one too.  ;-)  Both machines sometimes
get the "library not found" requester.  I too found that the only
way out was to reboot until it decided to work.  My local dealer has
suggested inserting delays (e.g. WAIT 5) at various places in the
startup-sequence, but that only reduces, not eliminates, the probability
of the problem happening.  Customizing my startup-sequence for other
purposes seems to have been at least as effective.

     I too would love to find out what's going wrong, but the other
night I think I got a clue that might help any CATS types who deal
with the Janus software.  My startup-sequence includes the statement:

        run >nil: sys:PC/PCDisk

Normally when I do a STATUS (actually ps under Matt Dillon's shell is
much nicer) I see it running.  The other night, when the "library not
found" requester came up, I happened to do a ps for some reason, and
found that PCDisk was not running.  I tried to RUN SYS:PC/PCDisk - the
[CLI 2] message appeared, but ps revealed that PCDisk was not running.
Repeated attempts to RUN SYS:PC/PCDisk were all ignored (or perhaps
PCDisk terminated immediately).

     It seems that "library not found" doesn't necessarily indicate a
hardware error as the bridge board manual suggests.  When I re-boot,
PCDisk comes up and PCWindow works properly.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
I'm trying to find the stationery department but they keep moving it.

amercer@thor.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (11/20/89)

From article <706@mindlink.UUCP>, by a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs):
>> Normally when I do a STATUS (actually ps under Matt Dillon's shell is
>> much nicer) I see it running.  The other night, when the "library not
>> [...]
>> [CLI 2] message appeared, but ps revealed that PCDisk was not running.
>> Repeated attempts to RUN SYS:PC/PCDisk were all ignored (or perhaps
>> PCDisk terminated immediately).

Interesting, I too have checked the processes.  What is intersting is that
the PCDisk will show as running, then a later status will not show it.

I've looked at PCWindow (what actually starts the MS-DOS side) using NewZap
don't find anything unusual with the library calls.  Should be looking in
LIBS: (right?).

The other calls are all to SYS:PC/....,so should be no problem there.

Thanks for the info, at least we know we're not alone...