[comp.sys.amiga.tech] PDC and debugging

sheffler@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) (11/15/89)

I am determined to used PDC (the publicly distributable C compiler)
and have had a reasonable amount of success (luck?) so far.  However,
I am having a hard time finding out why I can't get GLIB (the MIDI
generic editor/librarian) to work correctly.  It GURUs all over the
place.

In UNIX I could look at the core dump to see where the program crapped
out.  How can I see where an Amiga program is when it causes a GURU??

P.S. - I don't have an extra terminal to use WACK.

	-Tom

aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (11/15/89)

In article <SHEFFLER.89Nov14123841@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU> sheffler@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) writes:

>In UNIX I could look at the core dump to see where the program crapped
>out.  How can I see where an Amiga program is when it causes a GURU??

The GURU # should tell you. The address of the instruction that GURUed is
the last 6 numbers in the guru left to right. The first digits (before the
period) will tell you what kind of error. (i.e. CPU Trap, Exec error, etc).
There is a program called GURU I think that will decode the first 8 digits
of the GURU # for you.

						aliu@nunki.usc.edu
						  Forwarded (MD)

(For example, 00000005.00299920f would mean CPU Trap, tried to divide
by 0, around hex 299920f...)

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (11/20/89)

aliu@girtab.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:

>The GURU # should tell you. The address of the instruction that GURUed is
>the last 6 numbers in the guru left to right. The first digits (before the
>period) will tell you what kind of error.

Would be nice. Unfortunately, the number right of the period is the address
of the Task structure. You'll may use ROMWack to tell you about processor
registers (i.e., the program counter).

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv