[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Interrupt vectors in chip memory

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (11/21/89)

In article <8652@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

> With fast memory and DMA, you only need one cycle to chip memory, at
> worst, to get unrestricted access to fast memory at full bus speeds.
> With CPU driven I/O, you'll need a few cycles, since interrupt
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> vectors are currently stored in chip memory, but it's not that bad.
> Some devices may not work at acceptible rates with hires 4 plane
> overscan screens if you only have chip memory.  With a little fast
> memory, there's not a big problem.

This has always irked me.  When AmigaDOS added official support for
the 680x0 (where x<>0) chips, I was surprised that they didn't move
the interrupt vectors to fast memory (since the 68010 and up can do
that).

Chip memory is prone to trashing by errant programs (blitter-tricks
gone bad, beginning programmer mistakes, etc.)  Might this be a
feature of 1.4?  It could be a switch in preferences to keep older
working.

--
Tom Limoncelli    -- limonce@pilot.njin.net        Standard Disclaimer
CM 1060           -- tlimonce@drunivac.bitnet