[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Peter's suggestions for ash

andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) (11/22/89)

In article <4573@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
	   Would it be horribly difficult to change the syntax from:

		   run $(which variable) command

	   to:

		   run `which variable` command

	   (or even

		   `which variable` command &

It is interesting that you should ask this.  The new unix shell from
the GNU project, bash, uses both the backquote syntax and the $()
syntax.  The introduction of $() is being hailed as a positive step
since it makes nested calls much much easier.  The documentation with
the shell says that the backquote facility is there only for
compatibility purposes.  I agree with Brian Fox (writer of bash) on
this issue.  If you plan to include the backquote syntax, PLEASE do
not remove the $() syntax in the process.

For those unix folks out there, give bash a try.  It is a very nice
shell. (some bugs still, but what the heck.).
--

Andrew Thomas
andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu	Systems Design Eng.	University of Waterloo

In article <ANDREWT.89Nov21113142@watsnew.waterloo.edu> andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) writes:
> the shell says that the backquote facility is there only for
> compatibility purposes.  I agree with Brian Fox (writer of bash) on
> this issue.  If you plan to include the backquote syntax, PLEASE do
> not remove the $() syntax in the process.

I have no problem with this. BUT for compatibility please, Koren, add the
backquotes. Most UNIX shell scripts use them. (all the ones that don't come
from GNU do, for example).
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'