[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Bloody active rerouters. I give up. Message for koren.

Two suggestions for ash:

	Would it be horribly difficult to change the syntax from:

		run $(which variable) command

	to:

		run `which variable` command

	(or even

		`which variable` command &

	) pretty please? The closer to the real UNIX shell the better.

And:

In article <13920012@hpfelg.HP.COM> you write:
> If this is really a Lattice bug (unless somebody sees something here I
> don't), I can't make getenv and export work right until it is fixed.
> (I've tried malloc()ing the string passed to putenv(), which doesn't help
> at all).

Why not avoid putenv/getenv altogether and just read and write "env:name"?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

sft@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (scott.thompson) (11/21/89)

In article <4573@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
|Two suggestions for ash:
|
|	Would it be horribly difficult to change the syntax from:
|		run $(which variable) command
|	to:
|		run `which variable` command
|	(or even
|		`which variable` command &
|
|	) pretty please? The closer to the real UNIX shell the better.

Both are real unix!  $(prog) is valid ksh syntax!
--
  Scott Thompson, 45261, (IH 6W-207), AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il. 60566

   VOICE: (312)-979-2237  UUCP: ...!att!ihlpa!sft  ARPA: sft@ihlpa.att.com

mwm@gypsum.berkeley.edu (Mike (With friends like these, who needs hallucinations) Meyer) (11/22/89)

In article <4926@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> sft@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (scott.thompson,ihp,) writes:
<In article <4573@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
<|[wants `prog` instead of $(prog)
<Both are real unix!  $(prog) is valid ksh syntax!

My copy of the ksh man page even lists `` as "archaic", which I read
as meaning it is slated for future deletion.

Of course, the interesting question is whether or not the (prog) form
is supported. Shouldn't be any harder than | in the AmigaDOS
environment.

	<mike

--
Kiss me with your mouth.				Mike Meyer
Your love is better than wine.				mwm@berkeley.edu

mwm@gypsum.berkeley.edu (Mike (With friends like these, who needs hallucinations) Meyer) (11/22/89)

In article <4926@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> sft@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (scott.thompson,ihp,) writes:
<In article <4573@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
<|[wants `prog` instead of $(prog)
<Both are real unix!  $(prog) is valid ksh syntax!

My copy of the ksh man page even lists `` as "archaic", which I read
as meaning it is slated for future deletion.

Of course, the interesting question is whether or not the (prog) form
is supported. Shouldn't be any harder than | in the AmigaDOS
environment.

	<mike

--
Cats will be cats and cats will be cool			Mike Meyer
Cats can be callous and cats can be cruel		mwm@berkeley.edu

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (11/22/89)

> Two suggestions for ash:

> 	Would it be horribly difficult to change the syntax from:
> 		run $(which variable) command
> 	to:
> 		run `which variable` command

That has been in there since the beginning.  Try it; it works.  However,
SKsh (the new name) and ksh both recommend the $( ) syntax, for a few
reasons:

      1) Its easier to nest, since you don't have to backslash escape
         the inner backticks.  ie:

            `command1 \`command2 \` `
         vs
            $(command1 $(command2 ))

      2) In SKsh, the backtick notation is limited to the length of an
         SKsh token (currently 1023 characters).  There is no such
         limitation for the $( ) syntax.

Anyhow, I included the backtick style substition for compatibility with
the old bourne sh syntax.

      - steve (koren@hpfela.HP.COM)

PS - I have replied to *all* mail I've gotten about SKsh, but I have
     around a dozen replies which bounced.  My appologies to those
     people; if you sent me mail and didn't get a reply, that's what
     happened.