[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SIDECAR OR BRIDGEBOARD?

jim.shutsa@canremote.uucp (JIM SHUTSA) (11/16/89)

    Could someone please explain the difference between the Amiga
sidecar and the bridgeboard for IBM compatablility.
    Given that I have an Amiga 500 (and no major cash to upgrade to the
2000 and bridgeboard) I was wondering what sort of IBM compatability I
could get with the sidecar (if they make one for the 500).

-I assume it runs at slow XT speed
-does it have colour graphic capability (CGA maybe?)
-can you use the existing amiga 3.5" drives (using the 5.25" as well)

    What is the cost of the sidecar?
   Its pros & cons (vs bridgeboard or, for that matter, an IBM clone).
    If the sidecar can't do graphics, whats the difference between it
and using Transformer (besides the fact one is hardware driven and the
other a software emulator, or am I wrong about this)?

tanx,
js
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) (11/22/89)

In article <89111609053174@masnet.uucp> jim.shutsa@canremote.uucp (JIM SHUTSA) writes:

       Could someone please explain the difference between the Amiga
   sidecar and the bridgeboard for IBM compatablility.

I had a sidecar for about 6 months.  In that time it spent 4 months in
the shop for repairs.  At no time did it work correctly.  It is 4.77
MHz, and ran most MS-DOS stuff.  It failed on graphics-intensive stuff
such as games about 3o percent of the time.  It was flakey,
occasionally spraying random graphics all over the screen.  I suspect
that the shared memory used to pass the screen info to the amiga was
poorly implemented.  As far as I could tell, there was no way to use
the mouse with the sidecar as input to MS-DOS applications.  The box
is BIG and HEAVY, and is attached to the amiga only by the bus
extension.  I constantly feared that any little twist would destroy
something physically in the Amiga.  The amiga had to be plugged into
the sidecar becouse if you didn't power up the sidecar before the
amiga, or power cycled the amiga while the sidecar was powered, you
could blow some electronics in the Amiga, presumably the bus
extension.  All in all, it was one constant source of worry, with only
minor benefit.  As far as I know, no more are being made, and the ones
that exist only work with an Amiga 1000.

   -does it have colour graphic capability (CGA maybe?)

Yes.  4-color selectable CGA.  Also had Hercules emulation i think.

   -can you use the existing amiga 3.5" drives (using the 5.25" as well)

Yes.  But only an external 3.5 and you must plug it into the sidecar.
To use it as an amiga disk again you must remove it from the sidecar
and put it back on the amiga.

       What is the cost of the sidecar?

Last price I saw was about $700 American.

My opinion:
	NEVER BUY A SIDECAR FOR ANY REASON.
--

Andrew Thomas
andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu	Systems Design Eng.	University of Waterloo

prakt@hpbbm.HP.COM (#Praktikant) (11/24/89)

Some additions to SideCar vs. BridgeBoard :

>As far as I could tell, there was no way to use
>the mouse with the sidecar as input to MS-DOS applications.

  I think there is a way to use the mouse. You need the new JANUS
  software. ( I don't know how to install it )

>The box is BIG and HEAVY,

  It's a solid metall case with an internal power supply, well done !

>As far as I know, no more are being made,

  That's right.

>and the ones that exist only work with an Amiga 1000.

  That's wrong. I'm working with the SideCar on an Amiga 500. You have
  to turn the SideCars front to the back because the A500 expansion port
  is on the left side ( in the A1000 it is on the right side ).
  A better way I think is to turn the A500 an remove the keyboard.
  It is much better to work with an external keybord ( you also need a
  longer keyboard cable and a keybord case ).

>       What is the cost of the sidecar?

>Last price I saw was about $700 American.

  The last they sold in Germany were 500 DM ( less than $250 ).
  Now, a year after I bought it, the price for used SideCars is
  in that range ( what a great deal ! )
  This price was the main reason to buy it. Another reason was
  the use of a low cost PC harddisk in the SideCar for the PC and
  the Amiga. The only problem I have is that the SideCar only
  works when it is directly connected to the Amiga. The use of
  bus cable failed ( see note A500 + SideCar ).

>My opinion:
>       NEVER BUY A SIDECAR FOR ANY REASON

    If you can get one for the price I got it, do it !!

Martin Burkhardt       Student at HP Germany
(sorry for my poor school English)