[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Windows without Front/Back gadgets

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (11/06/89)

I've been having a discussion with someone for the past couple of days, and
I think we've probably reached a point where it's probably best to agree that
we disagree.  :-)   I was wondering what folks here think.

There are some utilities around that let you bring windows to the front when
you click on them.  Should the window be brought to the front if the window
flags for that window don't have Front/Back gadgets?

I think that it is desirable to be able to do this.  After all, there are
some programs that don't give you any way to get back to the CLI if they
open a window on you that has no FRONT/BACK gadgets.

Here's an example of something the will screw up:

One full screen sized window has several gadgets on it (no BACK/FRONT gadgets,
though).   When one of the selection gadgets is clicked, a new window, which
can't be moved and has no BACK/FRONT gadgets, comes up.  The second window
covers all the gadgets on the first window.   Being able to click the back
window and have it come to the front makes the second window disappear, and
all the gadgets on the first window are back, which may really screw up the
program.

Should utilities with this window clicking ability have that function turned
off as default, or should the option be left on as default?

I think the option should be left off, but can be turned on by the user if
he makes the decision to do so.  It would be safer for new users who might
get tripped up by not realizing what the function means.

Perhaps the real question here is this:  Is using windows to cover up portions
of a screen a "correct" thing to do, or should this be avoided?  Is there
a better overall way to handle the problem?

What do you think?

srp
--
SR Pietrowicz    UUCP: ...!uunet!modcomp!srp      CIS: 73047,2313

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (11/06/89)

In article <186@modcomp.UUCP>, srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) asks how
depth arranging of windows without front-to-back gadgets should work.
Particularly, should such windows automatically move to the front when they
are selected?

     That's why we have the ability to include depth arrangement gadgets.
It gives the programmer control over how the windows will behave.  It also
lets the user know what has been decided.  Trying to achieve that
flexibility without depth arrangement gadgets opens a real can of worms.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) (11/11/89)

From article <788@jc3b21.UUCP>, by fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe):
>      That's why we have the ability to include depth arrangement gadgets.
> It gives the programmer control over how the windows will behave.  It also
> lets the user know what has been decided.  Trying to achieve that
> flexibility without depth arrangement gadgets opens a real can of worms.

On a multitasking computer, making the assumption that you, as the
programmer of an application, know which window/screen I as the user
want to use next is WRONG!  The whole purpose of being able to run
multiple processes/tasks is to allow me to integrate several tasks.  I
don't think that utilities such as DMOUSE should need to exist.  The
fact that they do, in such wide spread usage, says something about the
users opinion of the current interface, and choice of a useable
interface.

***Hoisting myself to the top of the soapbox***

If there are patent problems with choosing to use something that looks
like an existing interface that works/feels good, the rights should be
purchased.  We seem to be spending a lot of time trying to get features
similar in capabilities to some that already exist, but the APPLE vs MS
war seems to have blinded us of the fact that a legal solution is
painless.

The UN*X band wagon provides some interesting insight in that UN*X
solves a lot of problems and provides access to many applications that
are good for software development and multiuser tasks.  If I were the
CEO of a computer company targeting any market, I would be very
interested in knowing how I could sell computers without have to spend
money writing software.  By providing a development environment that is
complimentary to the usage of the developed software, you can't help
but win.  Most companies are choosing to buy commercial resale rights
to UN*X or a derivative to eliminate the startup overhead of
designing a multiuser OS.

Commodores current direction with Amiga Dos worries me because they
are attempting to reproduce everything that already exists in UN*X.
It seems much more attractive financially to take UN*X my the reins,
and just port the graphics support to that platform.  I have heard
rummors of SYSVR4 appearing down the road for the Amiga.  I have
yet to see anything official (other than the boot screen on my
2500).

Everybody that I have talked computer purchasing with as of late
wants UN*X, or at least UN*X compatibility.  Most are buying 386
machines because they want it now.

Okay, I am stepping down now...

--
-----
gregg.g.wonderly@att.com   (AT&T bell laboratories)

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (11/14/89)

In article <4679@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly)
suggests Commodore should replace AmigaDOS with Unix.

Unix is a fine operating system but it requires more resources than
AmigaDOS and it isn't as fast.  I've been very impressed with the things
AmigaDOS can do.  An operating system that lets a product like CrossDOS
work is well-designed indeed.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (11/27/89)

+-- srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
  [ example of program using overlapping immobile windows to control user
    input state machine ]
| Perhaps the real question here is this:  Is using windows to cover up portions
| of a screen a "correct" thing to do, or should this be avoided?  Is there
| a better overall way to handle the problem?

My personal opinion is that controling the user's control sequence in
this way is a bad practice.  Not just because click-to-front utilities
will screw it up, but also on general principles.  "Modeless" is a big
buzzword in User Interface circles these days, and for good reason.  A
"Mode-full" interface is one like the one described, where the user has
to follow some sequence of steps to get through the control process.
A modeless interface can accomplish the same input tasks, but allowing
the user to do it in his own order.  Typically, the same design process
that leads to a modeless interface leads to a more flexible one as well.

Just my two cents.
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC		(ferguson@metaphor.com)