[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Shadow RAM

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (11/14/89)

Does anyone think that Shadow RAM would be effective on an Ami?
For those of you who have never heard of this concept, I'll explain.
I was watching "the Computer Chronicles" a few days ago and they
were talking about ways of speeding up system.  One of the things
they mentioned was "Shadow RAM."  Basically this concept takes
routines from ROM and places them in RAM.  The claim is that RAM
is faster than ROM.  Would it be possible/worth the effort to
take some of the graphics primitives from RAM and store them in ROM?

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (11/15/89)

In article <42550@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>Does anyone think that Shadow RAM would be effective on an Ami?
>Basically this concept takes
>routines from ROM and places them in RAM.  The claim is that RAM
>is faster than ROM.  Would it be possible/worth the effort to
>take some of the graphics primitives from RAM and store them in ROM?

This has been done, and it is definitely worth it.  RAM is not inherently
faster than ROM, but if you copy the Kickstart ROMS into fast 32-bit RAM,
you get quite a performance increase over the 16-bit ROMS.  Dave Haynie's
SetCPU will do this if you have an A2620, and Brad Fowles' LUCAS/FRANCES
board combination will also do this.  I have the LUCAS/FRANCES combination,
and there is easily a 2- to 4-fold increase in speed in the system drawing
routines when the ROMs are remapped.

John

John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 643-6308

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/15/89)

in article <42550@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) says:

> Does anyone think that Shadow RAM would be effective on an Ami? ...
> The claim is that RAM is faster than ROM.  Would it be possible/worth
> the effort to take some of the graphics primitives from RAM and store them
> in ROM?

I think you got that last part backwards.  But in any case, on a stock A500
or A2000, ROM is at least as fast as RAM.  In general, ROM is as fast as any
16 bit Fast memory.  Should you add a 68020 or 68030 CPU with 32 bit RAM,
you then get into a situation where RAM is at least four times faster than
ROM.  You also have an MMU, and thus can use the SetCPU program to copy the
entire contents of ROM into RAM, and then map that RAM to the location of the
system ROM.  This is going to affect CPU and ROM intensive operations, two of
which are layers.library and the FFP math libraries on the Amiga.
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

wade@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (11/15/89)

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>Does anyone think that Shadow RAM would be effective on an Ami?
>For those of you who have never heard of this concept, I'll explain.
>I was watching "the Computer Chronicles" a few days ago and they
>were talking about ways of speeding up system.  One of the things
>they mentioned was "Shadow RAM."  Basically this concept takes
>routines from ROM and places them in RAM.  The claim is that RAM
>is faster than ROM.  Would it be possible/worth the effort to
>take some of the graphics primitives from RAM and store them in ROM?

        For those with 68020's or 30's there is a program (I believe by
Dave Haynie of CATS) which will place the rom routines into the 32-bit
memory for a noticable speed up of programs which use a lot of system calls.

                                                                -Wade.

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!wade
ARPA: crash!pnet01!wade@nosc.mil
INET: wade@pnet01.cts.com

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (11/30/89)

In article <42550@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>Does anyone think that Shadow RAM would be effective on an Ami?

Probably not, at least not on a "standard" Amiga with a 68000.  The whole
reason for "Shadow RAM" is to allow ROM code to be executed without
requiring wait states to be inserted for memory accesses to system code,
ROM typically being slower than RAM.  But the standard Amiga ROM is fast
enough that no wait states are needed.  A fast 68020 or 68030 would need
wait states, but I understand (not being able to afford such a beast myself)
that there are provisions for "Shadow RAM" type things in fast systems
already.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.usa