[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Reading the Keyboard

root@ccave.UUCP (Juergen Hermann) (11/28/89)

>finished writing some routines to do just that, so here's the code.  It's a
>bit long for this newsgroup.  I hope that doesn't inconvenience anyone.

Well, I always wanted such code, but hadn't the time to write it myself
(thanx, BTW). It worked fine, except the fact that I had to change
VERSION from 34L to 33L. If it was binary only, that would've been a
MAJOR inconvenience (since the program would simply refuse to run).

So, PLEASE, all programmers out there, don't rely on 1.3 ROMs being
installed if it's not necessary. Nowadays it's not necessary at all
(there are no drastic changes to the library interfaces/no new functions),
maybe when 1.4 is out and you want to use all those neat features we are
waiting for.

While we're at 1.4, can I get a confirmation (not 100%, but maybe 70% :-)
from anyone of "The crew that never rests" that ACTION_TRUNCATE will work
with 1.4. Currently, it impossible to write a fast & efficient
reorganisation for a database since you have to copy the whole database
file to get unused space back. Hmm, maybe CrossDos supports it
already??!

--
   //  Juergen Hermann		root@ccave.smurf.ira.uka.de
 \X/   75 Karlsruhe 1, FRG	Fido: 2:241/2.1212@FidoNet

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (12/01/89)

In article <83@ccave.UUCP> root@ccave.UUCP (Juergen Hermann) writes:
>While we're at 1.4, can I get a confirmation (not 100%, but maybe 70% :-)
>from anyone of "The crew that never rests" that ACTION_TRUNCATE will work

To coin a phrase, "it`s in there".  ACTION_SET_FILE_SIZE is the packet
interface, while the DOS interface will be something like SetFileSize(file,size)

Goodenuff?

	Steve

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (12/03/89)

From article <83@ccave.UUCP>, by root@ccave.UUCP (Juergen Hermann):
> Well, I always wanted such code, but hadn't the time to write it myself
> (thanx, BTW). It worked fine, except the fact that I had to change
> VERSION from 34L to 33L. If it was binary only, that would've been a
> MAJOR inconvenience (since the program would simply refuse to run).

     Good point!  It's a good thing I distributed the source code.  I was
just experimenting with version numbers and didn't think about folks not
having 1.3.  You see, those of us with A1000s can upgrade a lot easier than
you folks with ROM-based systems.

     Glad you found the code helpful.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

root@ccave.UUCP (Juergen Hermann) (12/04/89)

In article <8785@cbmvax.UUCP> steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) writes:
>To coin a phrase, "it`s in there".  ACTION_SET_FILE_SIZE is the packet
>interface, while the DOS interface will be something like SetFileSize(file,size)
>
>Goodenuff?

Well, yes. It's funny, I didn't need it for a long time, and actually
you don't need it often. But when it goes to databases, you must have it,
and THEN you realize the lack on the hard way.