[comp.sys.amiga.tech] path names

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (11/19/89)

OK, so this is not very technical, but I think it belongs here more than
in comp.sys.amiga.

In unix I can specify a path name thus : "../../comp/sys/amiga/tech"

How can I do this on the amiga?

--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (11/20/89)

In article <1989Nov19.134054.26516@aucs.uucp>, 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay) writes:
>OK, so this is not very technical, but I think it belongs here more than
>in comp.sys.amiga.
>
>In unix I can specify a path name thus : "../../comp/sys/amiga/tech"
>How can I do this on the amiga?

You specify it like this:

	//comp/sys/amiga/tech

the backslash (/) by itself refers to the parent directory of the current
directory.  How, you ask, do you reference the root directory, then?  You use
the colon (:) as in

	:news/comp/sys/amiga

So by now, you must be saying to yourself, "Gee, that sucks!  Is this for
real?"  Unfortunately it is not a nightmare.  It is AmigaDOS.  I often
find myself typing the '..' and '.' under AmigaDOS due to UNIX habit.  I
plan on using Ash (or whatever the name ends up being) to give me access to
the files with UNIX conventions -- at least on the command line.  Sigh...

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (11/20/89)

In article <1989Nov19.134054.26516@aucs.uucp> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay) writes:
:In unix I can specify a path name thus : "../../comp/sys/amiga/tech"
:
:How can I do this on the amiga?

//comp/sys/amiga/tech

:
:--
:+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
:+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +
:+ WOLFVILLE, N.S.     +   to make the world a better place."          +
:+ 840445m@AcadiaU.CA  +                    - Tommy Douglas            +
Joel Swan

w-stephm@microsoft.UUCP (Stephan Mueller) (11/23/89)

In article <8911192352.AA12870@en.ecn.purdue.edu> bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) writes:
>In article <1989Nov19.134054.26516@aucs.uucp>, 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay) writes:
>
>   [concise description of how to access parent directory under AmigaDOS]
>
>So by now, you must be saying to yourself, "Gee, that sucks!  Is this for
>real?"  Unfortunately it is not a nightmare.  It is AmigaDOS.

Um, ah, actually, no, I'm not saying anything of the sort to myself :-)
The AmigaDOS convention has some definite advantages over the Unix
convention.  In particular, the presence of a '.' and '..' entry
in every directory under Unix means that any program scanning a
directory must know about and discard this pair of entries.  This
is a special case and I find it aesthetically unpleasing.

>+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
>| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
>| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
>+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

stephan("The force of the nasal explosion sends Calvin reeling into the
         stratosphere.");

perley@trub (Donald P Perley) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov19.134054.26516@aucs.uucp>, 840445m@aucs (Alan McKay) writes:
>In unix I can specify a path name thus : "../../comp/sys/amiga/tech"

>How can I do this on the amiga?

The commercial shell Tshell allows this notation, as well as / for the
file system root.  Maybe Wshell does, I don't know.

As someone pointed out regarding SKsh, this only helps for command lines.
For specifying a file from within a program you have to revert back to
the amigados conventions.

-don perley

perley@trub.crd.ge.com

In article <10294@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> perley@trub (Donald P Perley) writes:
> As someone pointed out regarding SKsh, this only helps for command lines.
> For specifying a file from within a program you have to revert back to
> the amigados conventions.

And this is why I wish people would stick to standards. They may not be as
good as UNIX's, but they're there and there are programs that use them. I'd
much rather have to only deal with one standard than two, so long as the one
is not hopelessly dain bramaged. And by and large they aren't.

Can you turn off this translation in SKsh?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (12/04/89)

>> As someone pointed out regarding SKsh, this only helps for command lines.
>> For specifying a file from within a program you have to revert back to
>> the amigados conventions.

>And this is why I wish people would stick to standards. They may not be as
>good as UNIX's, but they're there and there are programs that use them. I'd
>much rather have to only deal with one standard than two, so long as the one
>is not hopelessly dain bramaged. And by and large they aren't.

>Can you turn off this translation in SKsh?

Yes.  See the 'options' command.

     - steve