[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Memory mapped files

In article <556@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
> As you probably know, other systems since then have also used it. And I've
> heard that Unix 5.4 will support this feature, too.

I haven't heard that. I know SunOS has a 'mapped file' capability, but that's
only for bitmapped devices. Mapped files are in Mach, though.

> the "it's in there!" release of Unix :-)

Yeh, and the Sytsem-V.4/Mach merge is the "we get to break everything" release?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

lbl@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (leslie.b.locklear) (12/05/89)

)
) I haven't heard that. I know SunOS has a 'mapped file' capability, but that's
) only for bitmapped devices. Mapped files are in Mach, though.
)

System VR4.0 certainly has mapped files.  And SunOS 4.0.3 does also.  This is a
general mapped file facility, not for bitmapped devices only.

Barry Locklear
lbl@sf.att.com