[comp.sys.amiga.tech] FCC approval IS needed but simple

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (12/07/89)

In article <4658@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

> Well, that's a different case. The original message here was from someone who
> *had* considered it and wanted to know if they should get FCC approval before
> shipping in small quantities.

Absolutely right!  I was talking about manufacturing small numbers ( <100? )
in basically a garage operation.  I am considering it NOW, before I even do
a PC board, because with my luck I'd get caught for sure without FCC approval.

Actually, I got my answer from sci.electronics.  To get FCC class B approval
(which is probably what I want), you do not even file with the FCC.  They
reserve the right to inspect test records--you are on your honor more or
less to do accurate testing.  And, apparently, testing is not difficult.
You need a nice (EMI) quiet field, a dipole antenna, a spectrum analyzer,
and a long extension cord :).  You check emission from 30-1500MHz, and if
you are under FCC limits, take it to mamainly what I wantedy what I wanted
to know.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, suggestions, etc.

Paul