[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Couple of Questions about the A2091

migh@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Mike Hall~C24~M26a~6029~) (12/07/89)

I've got a couple of questions about the features of the A2091 board
and its driver:

1 - does it use the 'hard blocks' convention (keeping partition information
	out on the disk itself)?
2 - can I use the driver to talk to other SCSI devices, i.e. pass SCSI
	command blocks "through" it?
3 - does the board have an external connector, i.e. off the back?

That's all, Thanks!  (I'm looking forward to getting rid of the Xetec
stuff I have now, and getting a _Real_ SCSI tape unit that works.)

Mike Hall	att!cuuxb!migh, 	or maybe even cuuxb!migh@att.att.com

eric@topaz.rutgers.edu (Eric Lavitsky) (12/10/89)

In article <4352@cuuxb.ATT.COM> migh@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561110~Mike Hall~C24~M26a~6029~) writes:
> I've got a couple of questions about the features of the A2091 board
> and its driver:
>
> 1 - does it use the 'hard blocks' convention (keeping partition information
> 	out on the disk itself)?

Yes, I took a drive formatted on a HardFrame and it moved right over
to the 2091.

> 2 - can I use the driver to talk to other SCSI devices, i.e. pass SCSI
> 	command blocks "through" it?

Yes, it follows the SCSI Direct protocol.

> 3 - does the board have an external connector, i.e. off the back?

Yes, a standard 25-pin MAC style SCSI connector.

> That's all, Thanks!  (I'm looking forward to getting rid of the Xetec
> stuff I have now, and getting a _Real_ SCSI tape unit that works.)

I've been extrememly happy with the 2091. It worked straight out of
the box and worked perfectly with various devices and drivers we've
written for them where other manufacturers controllers failed to
perform. Commodore should be applauded at the fine job they've done
here, and you get to put two megabytes on the controller to boot which
can save tremendous amounts of money for integrators and customers.

--
Eric Lavitsky				UUCP:	...rutgers!tstream!eric
Active Circuits, Inc.				eric@topaz.rutgers.edu