[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 2nd Monitor on Ami

anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) (12/01/89)

I'm trying to plug the amiga as a good machine for doing an interactive
information dispenser (what the heck do you guys in the US call these
things?:-).

One of the questions I've had a hard time answering is:

OK, it looks good, but can we hook up a second monitor to it?
This monitor needs to be able to do text (with accents) in color
(graphics not necessary).

Now the only solution I've come up with so far (okay call it a kludge:-),
is to stick a brideboard in to a 2000, and then add in an external
cga interface card.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Cost is important, so no 16M
color frame buffers need apply:-)

--

	Frank Anthes-Harper :  Bien le bonjour de la France
	anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr

dougp@voodoo.ucsb.edu (12/01/89)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <1521@geocub.greco-prog.fr>, anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes...

>OK, it looks good, but can we hook up a second monitor to it?
>This monitor needs to be able to do text (with accents) in color
>(graphics not necessary).
>

>	Frank Anthes-Harper :  Bien le bonjour de la France

Go find the cheapest teminal which has the features you need, and hook
in up to the RS-232 port. (The cheapest terminal you can find may well
turn out to be a PC clone or even another A500 :-)

Douglas Peale

In article <1521@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes:
> OK, it looks good, but can we hook up a second monitor to it?
> This monitor needs to be able to do text (with accents) in color
> (graphics not necessary).

Cheapest: get an Atari 800 and talk to it over a serial port.

Think of it as a tribute to Jay Miner.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (12/11/89)

From article <1521@geocub.greco-prog.fr>, by anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes):
> OK, it looks good, but can we hook up a second monitor to it?
> This monitor needs to be able to do text (with accents) in color
> (graphics not necessary).
>
> Now the only solution I've come up with so far (okay call it a kludge:-),
> is to stick a brideboard in to a 2000, and then add in an external
> cga interface card.
>
> Does anyone have any better ideas? Cost is important, so no 16M
> color frame buffers need apply:-)

I have a little box I built that goes between the Amiga's DB23 and the
monitor cable that buffers and splits R G B and sync, so that I can
drive a large display projector and see the local screen at the same
time.

The R,G & B buffers are just a PNP emitter follower driving two NPN emitter
followers, one for each output.  If you keep the incoming signal lines
short (mine are about 4 inches long) then you can leave off the 75 ohm
terminations to get 2V p-p, and then put 75 ohm in series with each
output to get the correct driving impedance.  Sync is a little messier -
the later version uses 4049 (or 4050) CMOS buffers parallelled up, with
a 390 ohm series in the output as per a CBM recommendation for NEC
mutlisyncs.

Power can be found on the DB23, and it all fits (tightly) in a 4x2x1
diecast box.

If this is beyond your capability, speak to an Elec Eng type, they SHOULD
be able to whip it up in a couple of hours, or has hardware design
vanished from the civilized world? :-)

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	aduncan@rhea.trl.oz
		ARPA	aduncan%rhea.trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!rhea.trl.oz.au!aduncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.