[comp.sys.amiga.tech] replacement of 3.5 drives

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (11/29/89)

In Msg-ID: <22842@gryphon.COM>, collins@pnet02.gryphon.com
(Steve Collins) writes:
| A local electronics store is selling 3.5 IBM compatible floppy
| drives (cheap!) that seem to have the same connectors as the Amiga
| internal drive. What are the chances that this drive will work in an
| Amiga?

Steve,
   Hello. You can use a generic 3.5" drive with the addition of a
 small circuit to generate the Drive ID at power up. There is a
 (slightly flawed) circuit in Amiga System Programmer's Guide by
 Abacus. There is also mention of the reading the Drive ID process
 in the RKM_Hardware(1.2 & 1.3) and in the Amiga Tech Ref Manual
 from CATS. To build the circuit all you need is the ASPG book.
   <-Harvey

 "Political equality was a thing of the past;
             all eyes watched for Imperial commands." -Tacitus
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

collins@pnet02.gryphon.com (Steven Collins) (11/29/89)

A local electronics store is selling 3.5 IBM compatible floppy drives (cheap!)
that seem to have the same connectors as the Amiga internal drive. What are
the
chances that this drive will work in an Amiga?
A friend has a broken drive in his 1000 and I am considering trying to
hack together another external drive...

                                thanks in advance
                                         steve collins

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!collins
INET: collins@pnet02.gryphon.com

In article <751@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>In Msg-ID: <22842@gryphon.COM>, collins@pnet02.gryphon.com
>(Steve Collins) writes:
>| A local electronics store is selling 3.5 IBM compatible floppy
>| drives (cheap!) that seem to have the same connectors as the Amiga
>| internal drive. What are the chances that this drive will work in an
>| Amiga?
>
>Steve,
>   Hello. You can use a generic 3.5" drive with the addition of a
> small circuit to generate the Drive ID at power up.

The circuit you mention is only required if you want to hook the drive up
as an EXTERNAL floppy.

Me and a friend just installed a 720K MSDOS compatible floppy in his 2000 as
DF1: internal drive. The only things we had to do was set a Jumper on the
mother board and the drive select on the floppy drive. It works great.

I forget what the number was on the mother board jumper, but it is noted in the
back of the Amiga 2000 manual. It's located in the center of the board just to
the left of the frame that holds the drives.

I would recommend getting 720K MSDOS drives and not the 1.44M ones.

The drive we installed was a panasonic brand.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

33014-18@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu (Eduardo Horvath) (12/06/89)

In article <1246@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
[Fun with Line Eaters!]

>I would recommend getting 720K MSDOS drives and not the 1.44M ones.

	Would 1.44M drives work on an Amiga (other than software-wise)?
I looked at the old Hadrware manual, and I don't see why not.  Why didn't
C= stick them into the 2000?

>John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Eduardo Horvath | 33014-18@sjsumcs.SJSU.EDU | IMI - International Microsystems
	"Why don't you stop your whining, and get back to work!"
				- Doctor Science

mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) (12/07/89)

In article <1989Dec6.145527.2958@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu> 33014-18@sjsumcs.SJSU.EDU (Eduardo Horvath) writes:
>In article <1246@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>[Fun with Line Eaters!]
>
>>I would recommend getting 720K MSDOS drives and not the 1.44M ones.
>
>	Would 1.44M drives work on an Amiga (other than software-wise)?
>I looked at the old Hadrware manual, and I don't see why not.  Why didn't
>C= stick them into the 2000?

Well, the data rate is too high on the 1.44Meg floppies.  (Actually, 2Meg
unformatted...)  The PAULA chip can not transfer data fast enough to
attain that density.

>>John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
>Eduardo Horvath | 33014-18@sjsumcs.SJSU.EDU | IMI - International Microsystems
>	"Why don't you stop your whining, and get back to work!"
>				- Doctor Science

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///          When people are free to do as they please,            |
| \XX/                they usually imitate each other.                 |

nigel@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Nigel Pearson) (12/09/89)

From article <8859@cbmvax.UUCP>, by mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS):

>>>I would recommend getting 720K MSDOS drives and not the 1.44M ones.
>>
>>	Would 1.44M drives work on an Amiga (other than software-wise)?
>>I looked at the old Hadrware manual, and I don't see why not.  Why didn't
>>C= stick them into the 2000?
>
> Well, the data rate is too high on the 1.44Meg floppies.  (Actually, 2Meg
> unformatted...)  The PAULA chip can not transfer data fast enough to
> attain that density.

	Does anyone know if it would be possible to make a board (DMA?)
which is fast enough to use these drives? Also, would it be possible to
have the machines boot from it? (Should be possible on the A500/2000, but
I don't know about the A1000s) Would be neat to be able to put a bigger
default ( DF0: ) drive in.

Nigel Pearson, overpaid research assistant @ University of Technology, Sydney.

     "Do you want to live for ever?" - Conan the Barbarian & Highlander.

ACSnet:  nigel@ultima.cs.uts.oz     Phone: (+61 2)[OS] (02)[Aust] 281 2552
Surface: Nigel Pearson, Key Centre, UTS, PO Box 123, BROADWAY, Australia, 2007

mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) (12/09/89)

In article <16757@ultima.cs.uts.oz> nigel@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Nigel Pearson) writes:
>From article <8859@cbmvax.UUCP>, by mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS):

>>>	Would 1.44M drives work on an Amiga (other than software-wise)?
>>>I looked at the old Hadrware manual, and I don't see why not.  Why didn't
>>>C= stick them into the 2000?
>>
>> Well, the data rate is too high on the 1.44Meg floppies.  (Actually, 2Meg
>> unformatted...)  The PAULA chip can not transfer data fast enough to
>> attain that density.
>
>	Does anyone know if it would be possible to make a board (DMA?)
>which is fast enough to use these drives? Also, would it be possible to
>have the machines boot from it? (Should be possible on the A500/2000, but
>I don't know about the A1000s) Would be neat to be able to put a bigger
>default ( DF0: ) drive in.

There is no REAL reason something like this would not work.  You would build
it just like a AutoBooting HardDisk controller.  However, be warned that
doing this a REPLACING DF0: would be trouble for all those programs that
go directly to the hardware to do the copy protection or other such tricks.
If you write some tricky code, the replacement of trackdisk.device could
be achieved but the hardware-level replacement can not be.

However, I would LOVE to see someone with such a beastie as that would make
it possible to read/write 1.44 MS-DOS and 1.76 AmigaDOS and the new 1.6
MAC disks.  This would really give interconnectivity to the Amiga.  (We
can read/write any disk format, so there...)  Just do it like CrossDOS
did but with that new hardware/drive combo...

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Nigel Pearson, overpaid research assistant @ University of Technology, Sydney.
>
>     "Do you want to live for ever?" - Conan the Barbarian & Highlander.
>
>ACSnet:  nigel@ultima.cs.uts.oz     Phone: (+61 2)[OS] (02)[Aust] 281 2552
>Surface: Nigel Pearson, Key Centre, UTS, PO Box 123, BROADWAY, Australia, 2007

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///          When people are free to do as they please,            |
| \XX/                they usually imitate each other.                 |

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (12/11/89)

[line eater food]

I asked some questions along this line once before and the answer comes
out like so:

You can do anything you want to do hanging hardware off the expansion bus.
You could build hardware that supports all kinds of floppies or tapes or
whatever.  But you'd also have to write the drivers for them and link
them into the system.  What you can't do is get more than 880K from the
current hardware/software floppy support.  Unless C.A. wants to change
floppy hardware (and supply the proper software support), the current
size and type and number of floppies is fixed.

Too bad, too, because I would like to be able to just buy a double
density drive and boom!  1.7 Meg Workbench.  But only in my dreams.

Dana @ cup.portal.com

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (12/11/89)

In article <16757@ultima.cs.uts.oz> nigel@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Nigel Pearson) writes:
|[...]
|	Does anyone know if it would be possible to make a board (DMA?)
|which is fast enough to use these drives? Also, would it be possible to
|have the machines boot from it? (Should be possible on the A500/2000, but
|I don't know about the A1000s) Would be neat to be able to put a bigger
|default ( DF0: ) drive in.

	I think SCSI HD floppies might be the
	best approach. Perhaps they already
	exist, anyone know?