[comp.sys.amiga.tech] request for Information on Auto-Config boards

NETOPRBH@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (Brandon Hill) (12/11/89)

  I am wanting to add some extra memory to my A500.  I already have
1Meg internally, therefore the next logical step is to add via the
external expansion slot.  I would like to build my own auto-config
memory board such that the new memory would be recognized by the
software upon booting.

  After checking my local resources, I have found nothing that indicates
the technical details of how an auto-config board works.  Some publications
give general details on how the memory map is set up, and what the
system does to accomadate the boards, but what I really need is some
details of what control logic must be performed to allow a board to auto
configure.

  Does anyone know where I could find a technical specification for
the auto-configure standard?  Do I need to order it from commodore?
Thanks.
                                 BlH

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (12/11/89)

In article <89344.164200NETOPRBH@NCSUVM.BITNET> NETOPRBH@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (Brandon Hill) writes:

>  Does anyone know where I could find a technical specification for
>the auto-configure standard?  Do I need to order it from commodore?
>Thanks.
>                                 BlH

The new "Amiga Hardware Reference Manual" has a very good description
on what Autoconfig(tm) is expected to do.
--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)