[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Help with Execute

mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) (12/11/89)

The question concerns Execute() and stack size. I wrote a test program
to execute the command "STACK >RAM:TEST" so that I could check the stack
size the executed program got as I was having some weird problems. Sure
enough the stack size was the problem.

When I ran the program from the CLI the RAM:TEST file told me the stack
size was whatever I set the stack size to using the stack command. This
was as expected. However when I ran the program from the WB the stack
size was 4000 regardless of the STACK specification in the .info file.
I had expected the program to get whatever that stack size was set to.

Question: Is there any way I can set the stack size for the executed
program from within my program? The only work around I came up with was
setting the stack size in my startup sequence. This had the effect of
the program getting this stack size even when run from the WB. But this
has the side effect of wasting a lot of memory.

Thanks,

Martin.
--
+====================================================================+
| Martin Warnett          | uucp:   ...sun!claris!wet!mcw            |

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/12/89)

In article <855@wet.UUCP> mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) writes:
>Question: Is there any way I can set the stack size for the executed
>program from within my program?

The only way I found when using Execute() to get control of the
subprocess's stack size is to tack a stack command onto the front
of whatever string you were passing to Execute().  I.E., if your
execute command was:

	"ram:doit arg1 arg2"

pass it

	"stack 123456\nram:doit arg1 arg2"

instead (note the embedded newline character).

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf