[comp.sys.amiga.tech] HELP 1/2 Meg 1000 Hack

ammrk@swbatl.UUCP (Mike R. Kraml) (12/13/89)

Hello: I just install yet another 1/2 meg upgrade hack in another friends
Amiga 1000.  Well, this one is not going so hot.  I got the hack in their,
and now whenever I turn on the Machine both my harddisk and cpu lights light,
and stay on.  The screen goes to a Gray color, solid, and hangs there.  Has
anyone ever seen this or have any possible ideas.  I am very desperite!!!
Thanks in advance, Mike...

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (12/14/89)

In article <1034@swbatl.UUCP> ammrk@swbatl.UUCP (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>and now whenever I turn on the Machine both my harddisk and cpu lights light,
>and stay on.  The screen goes to a Gray color, solid, and hangs there.  Has
>anyone ever seen this or have any possible ideas.

Yes, I had these same symptoms after adding the KickStart Eliminator to my
A1000.  The problem was insufficient grounding for the PALS.  Have you provided
additional ground for your daughterboard PALS.

--
John Lindwall                     |   "Not my employer opinions; mine"
johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM     |   a man, a plan, a beer, reeban alpa nama

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (12/14/89)

In article <1034@swbatl.UUCP> ammrk@swbatl.UUCP (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>Hello: I just install yet another 1/2 meg upgrade hack in another friends
>Amiga 1000.  Well, this one is not going so hot.  I got the hack in their,
>and now whenever I turn on the Machine both my harddisk and cpu lights light,
>and stay on.  The screen goes to a Gray color, solid, and hangs there.  Has
>anyone ever seen this or have any possible ideas.  I am very desperite!!!
>Thanks in advance, Mike...

The chips on the motherboard are arranged in pairs. Looking at the machine
horizontally from the front (or back), a given chip on the front row has all
pins except pin 16 (the one you wire separately) connected to the corresponding
chip behind it (in the second row or 4 chips). USing an ohmmeter, check the
resistance between each pin one at a time. eg: go between pin 1 of the front
left chip and pin 1 of the rear left chip and so on. Be sure and contact the
pin at the top of the topmost layer of IC's you soldered on. The idea is to
check all connections you soldered. Also make sure you have cut all the foils
(or pins) on the decoding IC's (U1 H I J ) and that they are not still
contacting. Be sure and check for shorts between adjacent pins. If you have
done the Dave Haynie kickstart hack, you may want to try the memory without
it. For anyone else doing this, I suggest adding the memory first and then
modifying the kickstart board after a preliminary test. I have built a
whole bunch of these hacks and every one which didn't work has been due to
a bad connection.      <<<Doug>>>

--
Doug Lee
douglee@becker