[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SyQuest

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (the Wizard of Speed and Time) (12/08/89)

Query -
I have a SyQuest SQ555 removable platter drive.  My question is this:
is each 40 meg disk cartridge an AmigaDOS device or an AmigaDOS volume
(assume that each disk only has one partition - namely the whole disk).

Also, how would I use diskcopy to copy between cartridges?

--
Rich Carreiro - Most Biased Boston Celtics Fan!   "So long, farewell, and may
ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                         the forces of evil become

In <1989Dec8.143424.17066@athena.mi>, rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (the Wizard of Speed and Time) writes:
>Query -
>I have a SyQuest SQ555 removable platter drive.  My question is this:
>is each 40 meg disk cartridge an AmigaDOS device or an AmigaDOS volume
>(assume that each disk only has one partition - namely the whole disk).

A cartridge is a volume. A device is either (a) the driver that handles the
hardware, or (b) the physical unit, depending on the context of the
conversation. Think of the cartridges as floppy disks for purposes of talking
to them from a program or within command lines. The one thing to wacth out for
is to make absolutely sure that you never switch cartridges without running
'diskchange' unless asked to switch from a program.

>Also, how would I use diskcopy to copy between cartridges?

diskcopy VolX: VolY:

This is the same syntax as you would use to do a diskcopy with a single floppy
drive. You will have to swap the disks a number of times dependent upon the
amount of memory diskcopy allocates for its buffer.

The two volumes must have the same geometry, ie. same number of cylinders,
heads, and sectors per track, as specified in the mountlist or the setup
program.

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -