[comp.sys.amiga.tech] No more gurus!

anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) (12/09/89)

	I'm thinking of seting up amigas in remote locations, up to
several hundred miles away. Now as every on knows, perfect software
has not been invented yet:-( Soooo... If the machine gurus, I'd
like to have the machine reboot automatically, instead of waiting
for somebody to click the left mouse button (especially since there
might not even be a mouse connected to the machine!).

	Is this possible? I don't seem to recall any PD software for
this purpose, but hope springs eternal....

--

	Frank Anthes-Harper :  Bien le bonjour de la France
	anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr

mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) (12/09/89)

In article <1540@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes:

>	I'm thinking of seting up amigas in remote locations, up to
>several hundred miles away. Now as every on knows, perfect software
>has not been invented yet:-( Soooo... If the machine gurus, I'd
>like to have the machine reboot automatically, instead of waiting
>for somebody to click the left mouse button (especially since there
>might not even be a mouse connected to the machine!).
>
>	Is this possible? I don't seem to recall any PD software for
>this purpose, but hope springs eternal....

This should be a simple hack.  You just need a little bit of code that
set-functions the Alert() exec call that is used to display the GURU.
This replacement for Alert() would just return with the result in D0
such that the caller thinks the button was pressed.  However, "hard"
crashes can not be stopped this way as you may need to catch a GURU
after the crash and before the boot.  This would have to be done by
having part of the reset/reboot code reload the setfunction needed for
the Alert() call.  Should be a fun project...  ;^)

>--
>
>	Frank Anthes-Harper :  Bien le bonjour de la France
>	anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///          When people are free to do as they please,            |
| \XX/                they usually imitate each other.                 |

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (12/10/89)

In article <1540@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes:
:
:	I'm thinking of seting up amigas in remote locations, up to
:several hundred miles away. Now as every on knows, perfect software
:has not been invented yet:-( Soooo... If the machine gurus, I'd
:like to have the machine reboot automatically, instead of waiting
:for somebody to click the left mouse button (especially since there
:might not even be a mouse connected to the machine!).
:
:	Is this possible? I don't seem to recall any PD software for
:this purpose, but hope springs eternal....
:
:--
:
:	Frank Anthes-Harper :  Bien le bonjour de la France
:	anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr

The only sure fire mehtod I can think of is by powering down and up the
Amiga's power from a remote location.  I imagine the telephone controller
for the X-10 power system would be the best bet.  Use the appliance
switcher on the Amiga's outlet.  Now you can call from a remote location,
turn off its power, wait, and then turn it back on (making sure you left
the disk in that has the proper startup-sequence :-).

Joel

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (12/10/89)

In article <2352@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan)
writes:
   In article <1540@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr
   (Franklin Anthes) writes:
   :
   :	I'm thinking of seting up amigas in remote locations, up to
   :several hundred miles away.  [wants to reboot on gurus]

   The only sure fire mehtod I can think of is by powering down and up the
   Amiga's power from a remote location.  I imagine the telephone controller
   for the X-10 power system would be the best bet.

This isn't all that bad an idea, except I'd like to point out that the
BSR X-10 system is also VERY flaky.  Our system at home reacts quite a
bit to spurious commands (noise?  someone else has a controller on the
same house setting?), and the switches often croak after a period
ranging from days to months.  Not too reliable, esp. if you want to
avoid having to go to those remote locations.
--
T. Kim Nguyen 				  kim@watsup.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
					        kim@watsup.uwaterloo.ca

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (12/11/89)

In article <1540@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes:
>Amigas in remote locations.  If the machine gurus, I'd
>like to have the machine reboot automatically, instead of waiting
>for somebody to click the left mouse button.

Something else to worry about: Programs that get stuck in an infinite loop.
The standard way around this problem is to have a piece of hardware set
up as a watchdog timer.  If this device does not get an "I'm OK" signal for
a certain length of time (such as 30 seconds), it triggers the CPU's RESET
pin to cause a reboot.

You could have the program send out a pulse once a second on pin 5 of the
mouse connector while it is running.  (That pin is unused on a two-button
mouse.)  After so many seconds with no pulse, RESET!
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (12/11/89)

:writes:
:   In article <1540@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr
:   (Franklin Anthes) writes:
:   :
:   :	I'm thinking of seting up amigas in remote locations, up to
:   :several hundred miles away.  [wants to reboot on gurus]
:
:   The only sure fire mehtod I can think of is by powering down and up the
:   Amiga's power from a remote location.  I imagine the telephone controller
:   for the X-10 power system would be the best bet.
:
:This isn't all that bad an idea, except I'd like to point out that the
:BSR X-10 system is also VERY flaky.  Our system at home reacts quite a

You may want to make it more clear that "YOUR" system is flakey (perhaps
as you said; someone else near by has a controller on the same house
setting).

The reason is because I've worked closely with two systems for over a year now.
Everything from dimmers, to appliance modules, to radio controlled
remote modules (no experience with the telephone hookup though) and have
NEVER had a spurious ON or OFF.  In no uncertain terms, the
X-10 system as a whole is NOT flakey.  It is quite stable.  The flakiness
may be in another controller or dirty AC.  There actually be
many manufacturers of X-10 modules, I wonder what brand you've had
reliability problems with.  I would imagine the modules from DAK are
cheaper than those from Radio Shack or Sears?  I'm not sure if they are
made by one company (under contracts) or not.

:bit to spurious commands (noise?  someone else has a controller on the
:same house setting?), and the switches often croak after a period
:ranging from days to months.  Not too reliable, esp. if you want to
:avoid having to go to those remote locations.
:--
:T. Kim Nguyen 				  kim@watsup.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
:					        kim@watsup.uwaterloo.ca
:			    {uunet|utzoo|utai|decvax}watmath!watsup!kim
:Systems Design Engineering  --  University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Like I said, no problems of any kind in two product-years of testing
in my experience.

Joel

bryce@cbmvax.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) (12/12/89)

In article <1540@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes:
>Now as every on knows, perfect software
>has not been invented yet:-( Soooo... If the machine gurus, I'd
>like to have the machine reboot automatically...

A little program called Cancel! is just what you want.  It presses
Cancel! on any requester that comes up. (For example: Insert disk in DFX:).
Cancel! without source code is also on the Software toolkit from
Commodore-Amiga.  Cancel! with source code should be on a Fish disk.

You could easily modify Cancel! for Alerts.  However, some crashes
will be too severe for any ram-loaded software solution.  You could:

	1> Create a hardware device that plugs into the mouse port that
	   continually presses the left button.

	2> Create a watchdog timer.  Unless your software triggers this
           every N milliseconds, the system will be RESET.

For V1.4 Kickstart, "It's in there".  A special plug in will disable
Alerts.

--
|\_/|  . ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!
{o O} .     Bryce Nesbitt, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (12/17/89)

In article <863@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes...

>In article <1540@geocub.greco-prog.fr> anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) writes:
(stuff deleted)
>You could have the program send out a pulse once a second on pin 5 of the
>mouse connector while it is running.  (That pin is unused on a two-button
>mouse.)  After so many seconds with no pulse, RESET!
Using multitasking should make it even easier, al the whole machine dies
on a guru. A small program can send the signals necessary without
needing any attention from the (real) application.

>Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
>BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
>PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
>San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."
| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |