[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DOS book wanted

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (12/09/89)

What is a good reference book for DOS? I have the RKM, but it
doesn't cover DOS at all. Neither does Mortimer's books.

I want a book that covers ALL of the DOS system calls, and has the
equivalent of the RKM's AutoDocs.

Good explanations and example code would help also.

Any suggestions? Any bogus books I should avoid?

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

jonson@turbo.megatek.uucp (Henrik Jonson) (12/12/89)

On this same note, has anyone published a summary of available GOOD books
on the Amy and AmyDOS ? Lately ? Could someone please repost, or create and
repost ?

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (12/17/89)

In article <5eg702Q172dF01@amdahl.uts.amdah> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:

Stuff deleted...
>I want a book that covers ALL of the DOS system calls, and has the
>equivalent of the RKM's AutoDocs.

>Good explanations and example code would help also.

The best (and only) book I have seen about DOS is Rob Peck's Programmer's
Guide to the Amiga published by Sybex. It has a very good chapter on AmigaDOS
with working examples. I couldn't find enough information in the AmigaDOS
manual or anywhere else to do some of the stuff he documented even after
I knew how. There are also chapters on Exec, Graphics, Intuition, Devices
(ASIDE: not how to write one though. We could use a book on that) ,Animation,
Sound and Multitasking. It's a very nicely written book, much easier to follow
than much of the 'Official' stuff. Every programmer should have one.
	       <<<Doug>>>

--
Doug Lee
douglee@becker