[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Answers to some commonly asked SKsh questions

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (12/01/89)

Since there are a few questions which are asked quite frequently about
SKsh, I thought I might post some answers here (this is mainly to give
me some hope of catching up on my email before it fills up the remaining
disk space on my system :-).  Also, I have around a dozen replies to
questions like these which bounced.

1) FTPing SKsh

   Due to security restrictions here, I cannot make SKsh available for
   FTP.  Sorry.  I think that some comp.binaries.amiga archive sites
   will have it, although I do not know where these are.

2) emailing SKsh

   I'd like to avoid this due to the size of the uuencoded zoo file.  I
   may agree to it in a few unusual cases, but I am much more likely to
   send it if you send me A) a blank 3 1/2 " diskette, and B) a
   self-addressed stamped mailer of some sort.  To appriciate why I
   don't like to email it around, consider that since I first posted
   SKsh (which was Ash back then) I have gotten over 50 requests to
   email it.  At roughly 1/4 megabyte for the zoo'ed and uumangled file,
   this is alot of bits.  Perhaps to alleviate this problem and make
   SKsh easier to get, some kind sole could post a reply to this note
   which names a machine where the latest SKsh is likely to be, and can
   be FTP'ed from.

3) Obtaining source code

   This is probably 2nd or 3rd on the list of most frequently asked
   questions.  The short answer is that, yes, I will eventually be
   releasing source code.  The long answer is that I am waiting, for the
   reasons described below:

   a) For the moment, I desparately wish to avoid branches in the
      version stream.  At the moment, if someone tells me that they are
      using version 1.2, I know *exactly* which system they have, and I
      can say intelligent things like "the bug you report is known about
      and was fixed in the next release".  Otherwise, someone will have
      SKsh modified by John, extended by Bert and ported to the Timex
      Sinclair by Frank, and I will have no clue how to help these
      people when they have problems.  I learned from experience (with
      QRT) that I end up spending alot of time dealing with versions I
      didn't write once I release source code.

   b) The actual process of obtaining the source code is somewhat
      compex; you cannot just plunk down some .c and .h files and
      compile.  First of all, you need to have a working yacc.  Then,
      you need to have some reusable code libraries I have developed to
      implement things like hash tables.  Finally, you need to install
      the whole set of test scripts, many of which have dependencies to
      my specific file structure.  I have to hunt down these
      dependencies and eliminate or document them before I can release
      the source.

   c) There are many parts of the source that I have yet to comment
      adequately.

   d) I need to write up a set of guidelines for what you need to do to
      release a modified SKsh.  For example, I will probably *require*
      that the entire set of test scripts be run with *no errors* on the
      modified version.  This is to attempt to insure some moderate
      level of robustness; ie, that your change doesn't break something
      that you're not aware of.  Also, I will definately come up with a
      minimum set of required files.  Again from QRT I have found that
      around 60% of all requests are of the form, "I have an incomplete
      system, could you send me a complete one?"  I have never minded
      doing this, but I'd like to reduce the frequency of those requests
      as far as possible, especially because many of them end up being
      US-mailed at my expense for disks and postage.  Hence, the required
      list of files.

   So, source will be coming, but not very soon.  I will probably wait
   until Sksh is, from my point of view, fishished.  That is, until I
   have added everything that I realisticlly hoped to add.  I have no
   idea when this will be.  I may make exceptions and give the source to
   a *few* people who have offered to help debug/enhance/etc, but I will
   ask these people to not release modified versions until the source
   code has been distributed publicly.

   I hope this does not seem unreasonable; I'm only trying to be as
   efficient as possible in creating a high quality piece of software.
   I have to do certain things to reduce the load on my time, since I
   have only a fraction of my spare time to dedicate to SKsh (I like to
   do other things, too :-)

   Again I'd like to thank everyone who has sent mail with suggestions,
   bug reports, etc.  If you didn't get a reply, it bounced.

         - steve

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/08/89)

In article <13920022@hpfelg.HP.COM> koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:
>    Due to security restrictions here, I cannot make SKsh available for
>    FTP.  Sorry.  I think that some comp.binaries.amiga archive sites
>    will have it, although I do not know where these are.

xanth.cs.odu.edu in /usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/volume89/unix:

  -r--r--r--  1 news     news        57913 Nov 12 23:46 ash.uu1.Z
  -r--r--r--  1 news     news        57563 Nov 12 23:49 ash.uu2.Z
  -r--r--r--  1 news     news        56289 Nov 12 23:51 ash.uu3.Z
  -r--r--r--  1 news     news        30039 Nov 12 23:53 ash.uu4.Z

	...tad

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (12/11/89)

> >    Due to security restrictions here, I cannot make SKsh available for
>>     FTP.  Sorry.  I think that some comp.binaries.amiga archive sites
> >    will have it, although I do not know where these are.

xan> th.cs.odu.edu in /usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/volume89/unix:

  -r> --r--r--  1 news     news        57913 Nov 12 23:46 ash.uu1.Z
  -r-> -r--r--  1 news     news        57563 Nov 12 23:49 ash.uu2.Z
  -r--> r--r--  1 news     news        56289 Nov 12 23:51 ash.uu3.Z
  -r--r> --r--  1 news     news        30039 Nov 12 23:53 ash.uu4.Z

Thanks for the info.

That looks like an old (1.0 or 1.1) version.  I'd like to actively
avoid having people use the old versions, since they contained a number
of bugs that were fixed in 1.2.  Does this archive have the newer
(SKsh1.2) version, also?

        - steve

pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) (12/15/89)

In article <TADGUY.89Dec7154957@diatomite.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>xanth.cs.odu.edu in /usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/volume89/unix:
>
>  -r--r--r--  1 news     news        57913 Nov 12 23:46 ash.uu1.Z
[etc...]
>	...tad

I believe that these are indeed ash, and not Sksh.  Am I correct?

--
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
| Worcester Polytechnic Institute   | "It happens sometimes, people just     |

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/18/89)

In article <6307@wpi.wpi.edu> pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) writes:
> In article <TADGUY.89Dec7154957@diatomite.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
> >xanth.cs.odu.edu in /usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/volume89/unix:
> >  -r--r--r--  1 news     news        57913 Nov 12 23:46 ash.uu1.Z
>
> I believe that these are indeed ash, and not Sksh.  Am I correct?

Perhaps.  However, the time/date look right, and the author has the same name.
Regardless, this one is obsolete.  The most current version available
on xanth is now /amiga/SKsh-1.2.zoo ...

	...tad