[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SKsh compatibility with unix or AmigaDOS

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (12/20/89)

In article <1fdu02pp76f901@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <4780@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> In article <11223@thorin.cs.unc.edu> tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) writes:
>>
>> > But env: is deficient in that its "global" and therefore you can't have
>> > more than one environment.
>>
>> I understand this. However you should retain compatibility with the system
>> as it exists. Similarly, your programs should use AmigaDOS keyword argument
>> handling rather than UNIX -option style, and they should work properly under
>> the Workbench and CLI as well as RogueStartup.
>
>If you opt for compatibility as Peter suggests, could you please make it
>settable.  Alot of people prefer -option style specifications.
>
>Similarly with a solution to the env: problem.

Permit me to disagree more strongly than Kim.  The whole point of SKsh,
as I understand it, is to emulate one of the Unix shells (tsh?).  There
are already plenty of shells available which stick to the Amiga Shell
model.  Lets have one for us Unix-heads.

John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 643-6308

Sorry, I was mixing two subjects: what the shell should do, and what programs
should do. Hmmm... maybe AmigaDOS environvent variables should be acessible
vi Getenv and Putenv, and UNIX ones via getenv and putenv, by analogy with
write/Write, open/Open, etc...

This would let your program work both ways. With the Amiga routines as
a fallback for getenv/putenv if there's no sksh environment available.

Same with options. A program run from the CLI should take Amiga options,
run from sksh and it'd take UNIX options.

And run from Workbench it would use ToolTypes and WBArgs.

An appropriate adaptation of Eric Allman's parseargs sounds like it's
in order...

Oh, and *I*'m a UNIX-head, too. But I have to deal with intel's daft
software development tools that insist on using DOS and iRMX options
under UNIX... so I'm sensitive to the problems.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'