[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ls failed returncode 8925326 ? ? ? ? ? ?

In <19443@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu writes:
>Hi, I'm using:
>
>LS 2.0 by Justin V. McCormick 1988
>
>The list failed returncode 8925326 bothers me.
>
>Why does it return this failure?

Probably because Mr. McCormick didn't specifically set a return value for the
program.

>And what does such an undefined failure represent?

It probably represents a final test that neglected to use ls in a script, since
the CLI doesn't pay attention to the return code.

It is a nice program, insn't it?

-larry

--
" All I ask of my body is that it carry around my head."
         - Thomas Alva Edison -

rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu (12/22/89)

Hi, I'm using:

LS 2.0 by Justin V. McCormick 1988

And while this seriously wonderful ls program works really well, I have
a few problems with using it.

Here is the first:

6> rx "address command 'list -l'"
-----rwed 89-08-20 10:34:16    1       61 .info
-----rwed 89-12-16 19:13:21   Directory   c
-----rwed 89-12-16 19:44:31   Directory   devs
-----rwed 88-08-13 18:11:55    1      370 Disk.info
-----rwed 88-08-13 18:02:32    2      894 DRAWER.info
-----rwed 89-10-01 10:12:25   Directory   fonts
-----rwed 89-12-16 19:12:53   Directory   l
-----rwed 89-12-16 19:13:01   Directory   libs
-----rwed 89-09-09 20:39:36   Directory   Prefs
-----rwed 88-08-13 18:11:57    2      894 Prefs.info
-----rwed 89-12-18 21:36:29   Directory   s
-----rwed 88-08-13 18:08:18    0        0 Shell
-----rwed 88-08-13 18:09:36    1      405 Shell.info
-----rwed 89-12-08 00:06:03   Directory   t
Dirs:8   Files:6    Blocks:7     Bytes:2624
list failed returncode 8925326

The list failed returncode 8925326 bothers me.

Why does it return this failure?

And what does such an undefined failure represent?

Something else that concerns me is that when I use this ls program
(I renamed it LIST in my c: directory (I use normal list as ls)), is
that when I run it through the aux: device, or through a special shell
written in arexx, it buggers up the next lines input.

I mean, that if, from my terminal, (using steve drews aux: device),
I did a list, and pushed [return] when it was complete, It would display
'Unknown Command: " "' (or something close to that).  Here is a
clipped example:

3:34PM> list vd0:
$$TMP     Errors    Menu      Messages  UserLogs
list failed returncode 9014278
              241 *-* Address Command null;
+++ Command returned 9019604
3:34PM> dir
Unknown command
3:34PM>

Regardless of what I type after the list command, it won't work. The next
command, AFTER the one that doesn't work, works fine.

Could someone explain why this is happening?

               /Paul Anton Sop (Esquire?).  rsingh1@dahila.waterloo.edu/
              /Graphic Designer 4 Spaghetti Western Words and Images  /
             /100 Kinzie Ave, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2A 2J5    /
            /(519) 578-8525/742-0372 (if seriously really desparate)/

Andrew@cup.portal.com (andrew scott lagodzinski) (12/24/89)

>Hi, I'm using:
>
>LS 2.0 by Justin V. McCormick 1988

The version I have been using is 3.1, it is much improved and has some bugs
fixed.  It is dated  July 29, 1989.

>               /Paul Anton Sop (Esquire?).  rsingh1@dahila.waterloo.edu/
>              /Graphic Designer 4 Spaghetti Western Words and Images  /
>             /100 Kinzie Ave, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2A 2J5    /
>            /(519) 578-8525/742-0372 (if seriously really desparate)/

Andrew Lagodzinski   andrew@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!cup.portal.com!andrew
413 Pinehurst Ave
Los Gatos, CA 95032
Home: (408) 371-7205