[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Hard drive formatting failure

kpicott@alias.UUCP (Socrates) (12/07/89)

Well I tried posting this question to c.s.a with no results so maybe the
problem is deeper than I thought.  I have a Fujitsu 2249A SCSI hard drive
that I am trying to format (re-partition actually, it was formatted once
before).  It preps okay and the first partition (using the regular file
system) auto-mounts and formats without any problems.  (FYI, the 2249A has
15 surfaces, 35 blocks per track and 1243 cylinders.)

The second and subsequent partitions are set to use the FastFileSystem.
When I try to format them I get the error "Format failed.  Handler not
found.".  I have checked with the local computer store and Commodore in
Toronto and both have checked over the mountlists etc.. and found them to
be okay.  Has anyone encountered this or a similar problem?

Just to add to the confusion, I tried restoring the original mountlist that
I had formatted the drive on before and *it* gave me the same error.
Commodore suggested that the 2090A might be at fault.  Any other ideas out
there?

Colour me Perplexed.
--
 Kevin Picott   aka   Socrates   aka   kpicott%alias@csri.toronto.edu
 Alias Research Inc.  R+D          Toronto, Ontario... like, downtown

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (12/11/89)

In article <668@alias.UUCP> kpicott@alias.UUCP (Socrates) writes:
>The second and subsequent partitions are set to use the FastFileSystem.
>When I try to format them I get the error "Format failed.  Handler not
>found.".  I have checked with the local computer store and Commodore in

For devices, three things must match exactly.  The name in the mountlist,
the name in the DEVS: directory, and the name stored internal to the
device handler itself.  While AmigaDOS as a whole treats uppercase and
lowercase the same in file names, the devices are an execption.

You can use "type devs:hddrive.device hex" to verify the internal name.
Check the mountlist entry and the file name match exactly, including
capitalization.  Also, make sure L:FastFileSystem exists with the right
name and is available at mount time.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

greg@noel.CTS.COM (J. Gregory Noel) (12/27/89)

I'm way behind in this group, so this problem may have been resolved, but...

Joe Smith (jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM) writes:
>For devices, three things must match exactly.  The name in the mountlist,
>the name in the DEVS: directory, and the name stored internal to the
>device handler itself.  ...

I had the same problem with the handler not being found.  I checked the
spelling \everywhere/ and it all agreed, but it still didn't work.  While
I was fiddling with it, I got a copy of WB1.3.2 and tried it.  Suddenly,
the handler was findable, and the format was successful.  I still don't
know why, but if you still haven't gotten it working, you might try that.

Onward,
--
J. Gregory Noel, UNIX Guru         greg@noel.cts.com  or  greg@noel.uucp

may@ug.cs.dal.ca (Bear) (12/29/89)

Here is question that I would really liked answerd. I have a supra SCSI
interface with a ST-277N Seagate hard drive attached to it. (Got it from
the big guy in RED) anyways.... after I have attached the drive to my
Amiga 500 and try to boot in the software it locks up. I have removed the
auto boot rom from the interface as I am using 1.2 rom in my amiga.
If I boot with workbench 1.3 the workbench boots but I just can't get the
amiga to reconize the drive is there. If I try to use supra format
I get a WAIT for the mounse icon and the machine seems to lock up.
Any suggetins would be appreciated and needed.................

Sleep is a luxuary for the uneducated.

				Brian May
				Dalhousie University NS Canada