[comp.sys.amiga.tech] XPRotocols -- What's available & Where?

rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu (12/23/89)

Hi!  I've had the XPRzmodem for a while now.  I heard a while back that
there was also XPRascii, and XPRxmodem.  If these exist, where can I
find them?  Are there any others?

Also, are there any small self-contained programs to send files over
the serial port using the XPR system (Recieve too).  Self-contained
(IE: not with any 'terminal' attached)?

Thanks

               /Paul Anton Sop (Esquire?).  rsingh1@dahila.waterloo.edu/
              /Graphic Designer 4 Spaghetti Western Words and Images  /
             /100 Kinzie Ave, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2A 2J5    /
            /(519) 578-8525/742-0372 (if seriously really desparate)/

In article <19471@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu () writes:
>Hi!  I've had the XPRzmodem for a while now.  I heard a while back that
>there was also XPRascii, and XPRxmodem.  If these exist, where can I
>find them?  Are there any others?

XPRascii came with the original distribution docs with XPR 2.0 from Willy
Langeveld.  It is there only as an example, though it could be improved to
make it a full-fledged ASCII send/receive.  I have not seen and XPRxmodem
anywhere, though I have cut doen on my net connections, so this might be
old news.  Steve Walton is working on a much improved XPRkermit (current
version is still like my original beta that worked on anly one comm at a
time), and when the last few bugs are fixed will be made available through
the usual channels (i.e. usenet, BIX, etc...)

>Also, are there any small self-contained) programs to send files over
>the serial port using the XPR system (Recieve too).  Self-contained
>(IE: not with any 'terminal' attached)?

I have not seen one of these, either.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (12/26/89)

[line eater food]

While not XPR-compatible, the latest version of VT100 (rev 2.9)
includes a program that is a stand-alone ZModem transfer program.
VT100 simply calls it and shares the serial port when you request
a ZModem transfer.  I haven't tried it all by itself but since it
opens a window to report on the transfer, my guess is it includes
all the stuff you need to transfer files.  If you want, I can try
sending you a binary copy via email.  Ask and ye shall receive
but only the lord knows if it'll work when decoded!

Dana @ cup.portal.com

sasjjr@sas.UUCP (Jack Rouse) (12/28/89)

In article <19471@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu () writes:
>Hi!  I've had the XPRzmodem for a while now.  I heard a while back that
>there was also XPRascii, and XPRxmodem.  If these exist, where can I
>find them?  Are there any others?

I have been working on a CompuServe Quick B protocol library.
Unfortunately, I can't say it is ready to release.  It works for downloads,
but I haven't tried it for uploads, and it needs to have options processing,
improved file handling, and text mode translation added.  There are some
outstanding bugs which I currently work around.

I am interested in hearing about any implementations of windowed XMODEM
and batch YMODEM, which would fill the holes I currently see in VLT's
selection of protocols.
Jack Rouse, SAS Institute Inc., Box 8000, Cary, NC 27512  USA
USENET:  mcnc!rti!sas!sasjjr           TELCO :  (919) 467-8000

deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (01/04/90)

On 28 Dec 89 14:42:28 GMT, sasjjr@sas.UUCP (Jack Rouse) said:

sasjjr> I am interested in hearing about any implementations of
sasjjr> windowed XMODEM and batch YMODEM, which would fill the holes I
sasjjr> currently see in VLT's selection of protocols.

If memory serves, these are actually both degenerate forms of Zmodem;
the Zmodem protocol is designed that it MUST be able to fall back on
X/Ymodem...  [At least that's what I remember from the protocol docs I
have somewhere...]  So, take a closer look at XPRZmodem.library and
see if it also offers X/Ymodem...

By the way, Xmodem, Ymodem and all the variations on them (windowed,
batch, 1K, CRC, etc.) are all only slightly different enhancements to
the basic Xmodem protocol, and all of the elements are incorporated in
the Zmodem protocol.  (which is I think why it is supposed to be able
to fall back; Xmodem is much simpler than Zmodem.)

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 274-0327

In article <DEVEN.90Jan4093719@netserv2.rpi.edu> deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
|On 28 Dec 89 14:42:28 GMT, sasjjr@sas.UUCP (Jack Rouse) said:
|sasjjr| I am interested in hearing about any implementations of
|sasjjr| windowed XMODEM and batch YMODEM, which would fill the holes I
|sasjjr| currently see in VLT's selection of protocols.
|
|If memory serves, these are actually both degenerate forms of Zmodem;
|the Zmodem protocol is designed that it MUST be able to fall back on
|X/Ymodem...  [At least that's what I remember from the protocol docs I
|have somewhere...]  So, take a closer look at XPRZmodem.library and
|see if it also offers X/Ymodem...

XPRzmodem.library implements ONLY the ZMODEM protocol. The Xmodem/Ymodem/
Ymodem Batch code has been removed.