[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Which Adaptec Controller ...

horalek@Alliant.COM (Jim Horalek) (11/05/89)

In article <21810@gryphon.COM> rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com (Rick Flower) writes:
>I'm thinking about purchasing the above mentioned drive for use on my A2000
>and was wondering which Adaptec Board that I will need to convert the ESDI
>drive to run under SCSI on the A2000 (via a C-A 2090 controller).. If there
>are any nasty drawbacks of this setup or certain things that I might need to
>know, that would be nice also!  Thanks!

Along the same lines I have a Fujistu 2246? EDSI drive and an OMTI 7200
scsi2edsi controller.  I have an A2090A.  I would like to hook it all up.
Anyone tried the OMTI?

  Jim

In article <3516@alliant.Alliant.COM> horalek@alliant.Alliant.COM (Jim Horalek) writes:
>Along the same lines I have a Fujistu 2246? EDSI drive and an OMTI 7200
>scsi2edsi controller.  I have an A2090A.  I would like to hook it all up.
>Anyone tried the OMTI?

	I haven't tried an OMTI, but I'd be wary.  If you can jumper any special
info the OMTI needs (like the dive size, etc) or put it in PROM, then you're
fine.  Adaptec (at least SCSI->st506) converters need special info sent to
them right before format; information which the 2090A driver knows nothing of.
I've been told that if you can get the drive formatted (on another computer,
for example, or on an amiga controller that understands Adaptec), then it'll
work ok.

	BTW, yes, I'm back on comp.sys.amiga.tech.  In the 1.4 push for the
last few months (like 3 or 4), I've been far too busy to keep up with the
volume in comp.sys.amiga.*.  I'm trying to catch up (with heavy use of the
'k' key :-), so you may see a bunch of responses to old articles (such as this)
where I think the information may still be of use.

	Remember: Banish BCPL! :-)

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"