[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Manx assembler

In <398@unicorn.WWU.EDU>, n8643084@unicorn.WWU.EDU (owings matthew) writes:
>	Hello. I would like to know how to write a stand alone 68000 assembly
>language program with the manx 3.6a assembler. The manual isn't very clear on
>using the assembler, except for compiled c programs. It seems like I got it to
>work once but the program wouldn't end. I think it has something to do with
>some startup code that i'm supposed to include. Did manx supply this code?
>	If this is already answered in that monthly information thing i just
>saved then don't bother replying.

I've always found the Manx assembler to be pretty good for compiling the output
from their compiler, but buggy and hard to use for general assembly work.

If you don't want to spend the bucks for something like C.A.P.E, or HiSoft's
DevPak, you might want to take a look at Charlie Gibbs' excellent freely
distributable assembler, A68K.

As for your program not ending, unless you have run into an assembler bug, the
likely cause is an error in the logic of your code. There is no real need to
include any startup code supplied, if you take care to do all the 'standard'
startup stuff yourself.  This might include such things as opening dos.library,
finding stdin and stdout, parsing your arguments into whatever form is easy to
for you to access later, and so on. Once written, if written in a generic form,
this file can be used as your own form of startup code to be included with
future source.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

n8643084@unicorn.WWU.EDU (owings matthew) (01/08/90)

	Hello. I would like to know how to write a stand alone 68000 assembly
language program with the manx 3.6a assembler. The manual isn't very clear on
using the assembler, except for compiled c programs. It seems like I got it to
work once but the program wouldn't end. I think it has something to do with
some startup code that i'm supposed to include. Did manx supply this code?
	If this is already answered in that monthly information thing i just
saved then don't bother replying.
	Thanks.