[comp.sys.amiga.tech] RS232: Connect null modem cable between Amiga 500 and TI99/4A

11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) (01/07/90)

Hello users:

     I want transfer my files between my Amiga 500 and TI-99/4A computers.
I talked with guys at GEnie online service and they gave me information.
I tried it with null modem adapter or straight RS232 cables from both
stores (Electronic Boutique and Radio Shack) but they do not work.
I tried it with a lamp cord (connects to pin 2 and 3 on both TI and
Amiga connectors in straight) but it still do not work. Does anyone
know any good IBM/Amiga-to-TI null modem (RS232) cable that will work
very well?? Can you help me? Thanks!!

       Amiga 500 Connector                  TI-99/4A RS232 Connector

             1  GND Ground                     1  GND Ground
             2  TXD Transmit Data              2  RD  Receive Data
             3  RXD Receive Data               3  TX  Transmit Data
             4  RTS Request to send            5  CTS Clear to send
             5  CTS Clear to send              6  DSR Data Set Ready
             6  DSR Data Set Ready             7  GND Ground
             7  GND Ground                     8  DCD Detect Carrier
             8  DCD Carrier Detect             20 DTR Data Terminal Ready
             9  +12 12 volts
             10 -12 12 volts
             11 AUDO Audio output
             18 AUDI Audio input
             20 DTR  Data Terminal Ready
             22 RI   Ring Indicator

My TI-RS232 Manual says that DTR is require for operation why that it
refuse to work!!

I will consider to connect null modem cable with 4 wires: RXD, TXD, DSR,
and DTR. Perhaps It will work well.

Thanks!!

-- Tim Stark

* This posting have been posted to Usenet comp.sys.amiga.tech.

Timothy Stark          Bitnet: 11tstark@gallua.bitnet People/Link: T.STARK
Gallaudet University   Internet: 11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu GEnie: T.STARK1
P.O. Box 1453, 800 Florida Ave., N.E., Washington, DC 20002
"Gallaudet University is the only university for the deaf in the world."

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (01/08/90)

In article <9001061902.AA03244@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) writes:

>     I want transfer my files between my Amiga 500 and TI-99/4A computers.
>

>       Amiga 500 Connector                  TI-99/4A RS232 Connector
>
>             1  GND Ground                     1  GND Ground
>             2  TXD Transmit Data              2  RD  Receive Data
>             3  RXD Receive Data               3  TX  Transmit Data
>             4  RTS Request to send            5  CTS Clear to send
>             5  CTS Clear to send              6  DSR Data Set Ready
>             6  DSR Data Set Ready             7  GND Ground
>             7  GND Ground                     8  DCD Detect Carrier
>             8  DCD Carrier Detect             20 DTR Data Terminal Ready
>             9  +12 12 volts
>             10 -12 12 volts
>             11 AUDO Audio output
>             18 AUDI Audio input
>             20 DTR  Data Terminal Ready
>             22 RI   Ring Indicator
>
>My TI-RS232 Manual says that DTR is require for operation why that it
>refuse to work!!
>
>I will consider to connect null modem cable with 4 wires: RXD, TXD, DSR,
>and DTR. Perhaps It will work well.

Null-modem cables are made like this:

	Amiga			Amiga

	1	---------	1			Shield GND
	2	---\ /---	2			Transmit Data (TXD)
	3	---/ \---	3			Receive Data (RXD)
	7	---------	7			Signal GND

Only pins 2,3 & 7 are necessary to operate successfully. Some equipment like
Ganhalf's GLMs allow you to use only 2 & 3. Connect pins 1 to the shield of
the cable only if excessive noise is picked up.

So we see that what one computer transmits through the TXD pins gets received
by the RXD pin of the other computer. Your TI computer has already switched
these two signals on its port, therefore the null-modem cable will not work
here.

A straight 25 cable will not work either, because signals 6 and 20 also have
to be switched when used. Just don't connect them if you want no hassles. But
if you insist connect them like pins 2 & 3:

	6	---\ /---	6		Data Terminal Ready (DTR)
	20	---/ \---	20		Data Sender Ready (DSR)

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327