[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Random Number Generation

bryanc@haddock.ima.isc.com (Bryan Cote) (01/05/90)

Simply, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to generate random
values on the amiga? I am using a public domaine c compiler and have yet
to find a library call to generate random numbers. I've been reading this
newsgroup on and off for a year or so but don't recall seeing this discussed.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

martens@navajo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (01/05/90)

See "Random Number Generators:  Good Ones are Hard to Find," by Steve
Park and Keith Miller, CACM, 10/88.  There was more discussion in a
"Technical Correspondence" section of a recent "Communications."
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Anybody know where I can get a phone with a backspace key?

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (01/09/90)

In article <15579@haddock.ima.isc.com> bryanc@haddock.ima.isc.com (Bryan Cote) writes:

>Simply, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to generate random
	Find a book called "Numerical Recipes". It gives you a discussion
	of the issues, the algorithms, and even the code (Fortran,Pascal,
	and, I think in the recent editions, C).

	I have the first edition and think it is a great book.
	Unfortunately, it's at home so I can't give you the ISBN or
	publisher.

	Keith
Keith Hanlan
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada 613-765-4645
uunet!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bmers58!atreus!keithh or keithh@bnr.ca

martens@bowling.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (01/09/90)

There's an article in the latest CACM (Jan or Feb '90) on implementing
the minimal standard RNG that may be worth checking out.
-=-

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (01/10/90)

In article <1161@bmers58.UUCP> keithh@atreus.UUCP (Keith Hanlan) writes:
>In article <15579@haddock.ima.isc.com> bryanc@haddock.ima.isc.com (Bryan Cote) writes:
>>
>>Simply, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to generate random
>	Find a book called "Numerical Recipes". It gives you a discussion
>	of the issues, the algorithms, and even the code (Fortran,Pascal,
>	and, I think in the recent editions, C).
>
>	I have the first edition and think it is a great book.
>	Unfortunately, it's at home so I can't give you the ISBN or
>	publisher.
>
>	Keith
>Keith Hanlan
>Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada 613-765-4645
>uunet!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!bmers58!atreus!keithh or keithh@bnr.ca

Numerical Recipes in C  --- ISBN 0-521-35465-X
published by cambridge university press.

Yes, it is an exellent book!

P.S. Hi Keith
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +