[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ST-506 Hard disk interface for Amiga 1000

rmd@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (r..diamond) (01/10/90)

I have a couple of ST-506 hard disks and decided I would like to
hook one to my Amiga 1000.  After several calls, I began to think this impossible.
Most people wouldn't even sell me the interface, and one wanted $500 for a
complete package without the drive.  I could buy the Trumpcard for $550
and have 48 Mb SCSI.  Are there any cheaper options?
						thanx,
__
 Robert Diamond          (201) 576-2357        /\
        AT&T Lincroft 1A-205                  /RO\
 ...!att!lzatt!rmd                            \BD/
                                               \/

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (01/11/90)

In article <3573@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> rmd@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (r..diamond) writes:
>I have a couple of ST-506 hard disks and decided I would like to
>hook one to my Amiga 1000.  After several calls, I began to think this impossible.
>Most people wouldn't even sell me the interface, and one wanted $500 for a
>complete package without the drive.  I could buy the Trumpcard for $550
>and have 48 Mb SCSI.  Are there any cheaper options?

	You might look into the Max interface or the Wedge interface. Both are
relatively inexpensive and work well. I have built several of the Max interfaces
& highly recommend it if you are handy with construction projects. The Wedge
comes ready to go.
	I seem to remember that Spirit also had a cheap ST-506 interface as well.

pryor@uunet.UUCP (Paul Pryor) (01/12/90)

In article <3573@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> rmd@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (r..diamond) writes:
>I have a couple of ST-506 hard disks and decided I would like to
>hook one to my Amiga 1000. After several calls, I began to think this
>impossible.
>						thanx,
>__
> Robert Diamond          (201) 576-2357        /\
> ...!att!lzatt!rmd                            \BD/
>                                               \/

Yup, there are a couple I was considering. First is =MAX= which goes for $99
and uses programmed i/o. Heck, its not so bad, considering that CPU couldn't
do anything while DMA is accessing fast memory (maybe I'm wrong !). No
autobooting, this is a disadvantage.

The second one is ALF 2. Can't get a price quotation yet, I've tried to call
once and got their answering machine. The ad says that it supports MFM, RLL,
and SCSI. And autobooting. But I need to hear from usenet if ALF 2 is really
good as it sounded.

Please send replies by email, I will summarize if there are any interest.
Thanks !!!
---
Paul T. Pryor (uunet!imspw6!pryor)
Integrated Microcomputer Systems, INC. Rockville, MD