[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Messing with AmigaDOS

kxs5829@ultb.isc.rit.edu (K.X. Saunders) (01/20/90)

Hi,
	I need to know how I can get certain AmigaDOS calls (CreatDir,
CurrentDir, DeleteFile, Lock, Open, etc.) to acutally go to various
routines that I would write.  This "feature" needs to be turned on and
off at will.  Any help would be most appreciated.

|    // Only /\          kxs5829@ultb.isc.rit.edu                             |
|\\ //      /--\MIGA     kyle@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu                               |
| \X/                    Rochester Institute of Technology                    |

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (01/22/90)

In article <1960@ultb.isc.rit.edu> kxs5829@ultb.isc.rit.edu (K.X. Saunders) writes:
>Hi,
>	I need to know how I can get certain AmigaDOS calls (CreatDir,
>CurrentDir, DeleteFile, Lock, Open, etc.) to acutally go to various
>routines that I would write.  This "feature" needs to be turned on and
>off at will.  Any help would be most appreciated.

You would need to directly mangle the global vector, which requires
High Wizardry, and is specifically not supported in 1.4 because its
format is going to be changed.

In particular, SetFunction() will not work for this purpose.

It sure would be handy to be able to do this, though, wouldn't it?

I don't know for sure whether hacking the global vector would work 100%
or not; I've been meaning to try it one of these days. The main question
in my mind is whether the system itself always uses the global vector,
or whether it is sometimes bypassed internally, which would make even this
un-Zen hack unreliable.

The subject of "ROM-tags" comes to mind, but I don't recall any details,
nor where to look for them.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary