[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Intuition Bug / Toggle Menu Item, extended select

asaph@TAURUS.BITNET (01/25/90)

I recently found a bug in intuition. If this is a known bug please forgive
me for repeating it here.

Descripition:

Short:
If you have a menu item with menu-toggle on it. And you extended-select it with
the left mouse button twice in one operation, thereby doing actualy nothing
(once on, once off), your program will recieve only one event from the IDCMP.

Long:
Suppose I have a program with a menu in it. This menu has its menu toggle flag
on and is check marked. Niw I go to it using the regular right-mouse button
method. When the pointer is on the item I hit the left mouse button, the menu
will toggle. The check mark (assuming it was on) will be erased immediatly. The
menu is now off. If I press the left mouse button again, without first
releasing the right mouse button, the menu will reselect. It will re-toggle
i.e. return to its intial state including the check mark. The program however
will recieve only one event. So it will think the item has only been toggled
once, now the item appreance and the program internal record of it are
unsynced.

Work-Around:

When using these toggleable menu items, I guess I will have to ignore the
number of events recieved and actualy look in the MenuItem->Flags SELECTED bit,
if I recieve an event related to this menu item.

wicks@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Tony Wicks ) (01/25/90)

In article <1215@taurus.BITNET> <asaph%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

>I recently found a bug in intuition. If this is a known bug please forgive
>me for repeating it here.
...<description delete>...
>Work-Around:
>
>When using these toggleable menu items, I guess I will have to ignore the
>number of events recieved and actualy look in the MenuItem->Flags SELECTED bit,
>if I recieve an event related to this menu item.

This is not a bug.  Your workaround is what you were supposed to do in
the first place.  While it may require slightly more code you should
always check the flags of intuition objects.

On a related subject: Why is it that when I have a StringInfo Gadget I
get a GADGETUP and then a GADGETDOWN message.  I can understand
getting two messages (even if I don't want them) but, not UP and then
DOWN.  What's the deal here?  Is this a bug, or have I made a boo-boo.

Tony Wicks, Staff Engineer, Martin Marietta Aero & Naval Systems
Local MMA&NS Email: wicks@mst1 -- 301-682-2883 (Desk) 301-682-0975 (Lab)
INTERNET: wicks@mst1.bal.mmc.com -or- wicks@umbc3.umbc.edu