[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Bug in intuition

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (12/12/89)

A friend of mine came across this bug in Intuition.  It seems
that Intuition incorrectly clips requesters in windows.  To see
the problem, try to open a requester that covers the interior
of the window right up to the borders.  You can't.  Assuming
normal screen colors (blue backgrounds, white borders) you'll
get a 1-pixel blue line next to the right border and along
the bottom border that you can't cover with a requester.
  Just thought you'd like to know.
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet                 _buy_ them.
   |  ||
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (12/13/89)

In article <1989Dec12.151514.17700@uncecs.edu> utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:

>A friend of mine came across this bug in Intuition.  It seems
>that Intuition incorrectly clips requesters in windows.  To see
>the problem, try to open a requester that covers the interior
>of the window right up to the borders.  You can't.  Assuming
>normal screen colors (blue backgrounds, white borders) you'll
>get a 1-pixel blue line next to the right border and along
>the bottom border that you can't cover with a requester.

Intuition's Window borders are actually double-borders:  There is
an outside border rendered in the window's BlockPen (which normally
is pen 1, but can be whatever the opener of the window likes), and that
is the part everyone is aware of.  Just inside that is an "inner border"
rendered in pen 0.  This inner border is apparent in any window that
is not of type BORDERLESS, so indeed your requester does cover the
window upto the borders.

The discussion of borders is on p. 56 of the Intuition Reference Manual
in the Windows chapter.  Both the inner and outer borders are mentioned,
although the manual incorrectly states that the inner border is rendered
in the DetailPen of the window, while in truth it is always rendered
in pen 0.  (They're usually, but not always, the same).

>  Just thought you'd like to know.

We always like to know, even if it turns out there's no bug.

--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

"A friend of mine is into Voodoo Acupuncture.  You don't have to go.  You'll
just be walking down the street and ..... oooohhh, that's much better..."
     - Steven Wright

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (12/16/89)

In article <8978@cbmvax.commodore.com>, peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
> In article <1989Dec12.151514.17700@uncecs.edu> utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
> >
> >A friend of mine came across this bug in Intuition.  It seems
> >that Intuition incorrectly clips requesters in windows.  To see
> >the problem, try to open a requester that covers the interior
> >of the window right up to the borders.  You can't.  Assuming
> >normal screen colors (blue backgrounds, white borders) you'll
> >get a 1-pixel blue line next to the right border and along
> >the bottom border that you can't cover with a requester.
>
> Intuition's Window borders are actually double-borders:  There is
> an outside border rendered in the window's BlockPen (which normally
> is pen 1, but can be whatever the opener of the window likes), and that
> is the part everyone is aware of.  Just inside that is an "inner border"
> rendered in pen 0.  This inner border is apparent in any window that
> is not of type BORDERLESS, so indeed your requester does cover the
> window upto the borders.
>
> The discussion of borders is on p. 56 of the Intuition Reference Manual
> in the Windows chapter.  Both the inner and outer borders are mentioned,
> although the manual incorrectly states that the inner border is rendered
> in the DetailPen of the window, while in truth it is always rendered
> in pen 0.  (They're usually, but not always, the same).
>
> >  Just thought you'd like to know.
>
> We always like to know, even if it turns out there's no bug.

Except there is a bug!  If what you say above is true (and I have
no reason to doubt you -- your explanation fits my observations)
then the same phenomenon should occur on the left and top edges
of a window.  That is to say, if Intuition is going to clip a
requester at the right and bottom window border (as it does) then
we should also be seeing the Thin Blue Line next to the left
border.  Since the title bar and associated gadgets are within
the window I would expect that a requester could be placed next
to it, but if it overlapped the title bar it would be clipped
to the third scan line from the top (one for the white border line
and one for the inner border.  Alas this is not the case.  Seems
to me that if I get clipped on two sides, I should get clipped
on the other two.

Still think you'd like to know :-)

(Maybe this is not a bug.  I guess if it works as designed then it
is not, technically, a bug.  Perhaps it's that the design is,
ummm, interesting.)

I hope this doesn't come across as a flame or a rant.  This problem
is only a minor knit, and I am increasingly impressed with
Intuition as I find out more about it.  I don't mean to sound
proud, except in having had the good sense to buy an Amiga in
Nov. '85.

-- Todd M. Lewis

porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu (02/01/90)

I have discovered a little bug in intuitions Gadget handling. I would mail
direct to CBM about this but I forgot the path :-(. Specifically
with GADGHCOMP BOOLEAN gadgets

This shows up with a stock workbench disk -- not even dmouse type things.

Bring up Preferences, and select printer change.

Now press and hold the OK box. Release the box and press-hold the
LMB again (quick!) just as the contents of the window are changing.

Release the LMB again and the "USE " and "SAVE" buttons appear
as if they are both selected!

I can do this repeatadly, but you may need several tries to get
it right. The time between release-repress is less than a second
but is not as fast as I can click. Maybe .25sec?
An 68020 machine is probly to fast :-)

 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu