[comp.sys.amiga.tech] NeWS for the amiga

maurie@jtsv16.UUCP (Maurie Danko) (02/02/90)

Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of NeWS (windowing system) for the Amiga?
Then please do.
Maurie Danko JTS Computer Systems Ltd .|
Toronto, Canada 1 (416) 665-8910       | Remember:
email: maurie@jtsv16.jts.com           |   If 2 people agree on everything
OR  {suncan|geac|uunet}!jtsv16!maurie  |   Then 1 of them is REDUNDANT.

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (02/06/90)

maurie@jtsv16.UUCP (Maurie Danko) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of NeWS (windowing system) for the Amiga?
>Then please do.

Well, my suggestion would be to phone Sun and ask if anyone has ported
it to the Amiga.

If not, buy a source licence and port it ... we'd all be very happy!
:-) :-)

--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (02/08/90)

In article <1290@jtsv16.UUCP> maurie@jtsv16.UUCP (Maurie Danko) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of NeWS (windowing system) for the Amiga?
>Then please do.
>Maurie Danko JTS Computer Systems Ltd .|

Ameristar Technology did a port of one of the early (pre-1.0) versions
of the NeWS windowing system.  The system was never released as a product.
People wanting a network windowing system on the Amiga should check out
the X11 offering by GfxBase.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar Technology

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Under Construction) Meyer) (02/09/90)

>> People wanting a network windowing system on the Amiga should check out
>> the X11 offering by GfxBase.
>>
>> 					Rick Spanbauer
>>					Ameristar Technology

What should those of us who want a server with a spiffy interpretive
interface (ala Postscript & psh) do, then?

	<mike
--
Don't tell me how to live my life			Mike Meyer
Don't tell me what to do				mwm@berkeley.edu

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (02/09/90)

In article <MWM.90Feb8135438@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Under Construction) Meyer) writes:
>>> People wanting a network windowing system on the Amiga should check out
>>> the X11 offering by GfxBase.
>>>
>>> 					Rick Spanbauer
>>>					Ameristar Technology
>
>What should those of us who want a server with a spiffy interpretive
>interface (ala Postscript & psh) do, then?
>
>	<mike
>--
>Don't tell me how to live my life			Mike Meyer

That's easy: start a company, buy NeWS license from Sun, port X11/NeWS,
and sell the results as AmigaNeWS.  Sell 25 copies.  Or input the necessary
cycles into building up ghostscript and then use it with the X11 port.  Or
one could always drop $100K (?) on Adobe and ask them to port Display
Postscript to the Amiga.

Seriously, I like NeWS as much as the next guy but unless someone wants
to go broke trying to sell it in the Amiga market, the X11 port is the
only real solution to a networking window system on AmigaDOS.  What
happens under Amiga Unix is another story, of course.

					Rick

dlleigh@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Darren Leigh) (02/09/90)

In article <MWM.90Feb8135438@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Under Construction) Meyer) writes:
>>> People wanting a network windowing system on the Amiga should check out
>>> the X11 offering by GfxBase.
>
>What should those of us who want a server with a spiffy interpretive
>interface (ala Postscript & psh) do, then?

You could use the "Winterp" widgit interpreter in combination with
X11.  Winterp is based on xlisp and provides interpretive access to X
widgits and most (all?) of Xlib.  Depending on exactly how you want
this set up, it could be easy or hard, i.e. porting it to run
completely on the Amy would be the worst case.  If you're just going
to use the the Amy as a display server this would be trivial.

If you don't like X you could roll your own windowing system.  I've
been toying with the idea of re-writing Postscript with scheme to use
as the base graphics language for a new interpretive
network-transparent windowing system.  Face it, X sucks.  NeWS costs
money and has its own problems.  Be creative.

Darren Leigh
dlleigh@media-lab.media.mit.edu

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Under Construction) Meyer) (02/10/90)

The question was:

>What should those of us who want a server with a spiffy interpretive
>interface (ala Postscript & psh) do, then?

Answer 1:

>> Or input the necessary cycles into building up ghostscript and then use it
>> with the X11 port.

Why in Finagle's name would I use it with the X11 port, when I could
use it with the Amiga direct?

>> Or one could always drop $100K (?) on Adobe and ask them to port
>> Display Postscript to the Amiga.

Be cheaper to buy a NeXT box :-).

>> the X11 port is the only real solution to a networking window
>> system on AmigaDOS.

In which case, I'm glad that's not the problem I'm solving. I'm trying
to find an environment that's as much fun as the NeWS environment.

>> What happens under Amiga Unix is another story, of course.

As the saying goes, if I wanted a Unix box, I woulda bought a Unix
box.

Answer 2:

>> You could use the "Winterp" widgit interpreter in combination with
>> X11.

Winterp is not the solution. It's a better tool for building
applications than gwm, but not than NeWS. For instance, I'd like to
see the NeWS transparent clock done in winterp.

>> I've been toying with the idea of re-writing Postscript with scheme
>> to use as the base graphics language for a new interpretive
>> network-transparent windowing system.

So have lots of people. Before you actually start, you might want to
look at gjc's siod. The latest version has the "lisp" part of the code
lifted into a (link-time) library specifically so it can be wrapped up
with other applications.

AREXX+RexxARPLib is the closest thing to the answer. And it's still
got problems (that transparent clock hack is just hard to copy!).

	<mike
--
All around my hat, I will wear the green willow.		Mike Meyer
And all around my hat, for a twelve-month and a day.	mwm@berkeley.edu