[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga 1000 vs. 500 & 2000

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (James Treworgy) (02/09/90)

In article <5132@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <131467@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>> If you don't mind, then don't upgrade your machine.
>
> Of course I bloody well mind.
>
>> 	Deal #0 : Turn in your A1000 and get an A500 for free.
>
> If Commodore was serious about us 1000 owners, they'd do something like that.

But there's one other thing.. I _like_ my A1000. And I have invested a fair
amount of money in stuff like memory expansion that I likely won't be able to
use on a 500 or 2000. Regardless, I don't _want_ a computer that looks like an
Atari and have disks sticking out of the side (the silliest design I have ever
heard of, sucks up another 6-12 inches of desk space on the side unless you
want to perform acrobatics to get your disk out). And I love the Amiga 1000
keyboard.... I can use a telephone wire to extend it, I don't have a heavy,
inflexible cord sitting in my lap when it's not on the desk and the cord slides
conveniently out of the way under the computer when its on the desk, much
unlike the awkward 2000 keyboard. I also like the keyboard's size, look, and
feel, things which I dislike about the 2000 keyboard (too big, too heavy,
sticky key feel. And the legs break off easily).

The 1000 is beautiful. The 500 is an impractical Atari ST clone. The 2000 is a
behemoth IBM PC clone.

--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

alex@bilver.UUCP (Alex Matulich) (02/13/90)

In article <6533@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (James Treworgy) writes:
>But there's one other thing.. I _like_ my A1000. And I have invested a fair
>amount of money in stuff like memory expansion that I likely won't be able to
>use on a 500 or 2000. Regardless, I don't _want_ a computer that looks like an
>[stuff deleted]

Hey everybody, there is a lot of talk going back and forth here about the
impending orphaning of the Amiga 1000, and the impracticality of those of us
who have spent bucks on A1000-specific peripherals to trade it in.

There IS a more cost-effective solution, however!  Doesn't anybody remember
the Rejuvenator project (a replacement A1000 daughterboard which accepts the
new chipset)??  As I understand it, the project is still being pursued, and
the cost of upgrading your Amiga 1000 to the same functionality as the 2000
would cost less than $500, which is a better deal than Commodore's.

Wouldn't that be a better solution for those of us who can't afford to throw
away a lot of money for peripherals we bought?  If anyone knows the person
designing the Rejuvenator, let him know that he has a market for his product!

--
Alex Matulich - Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando FL 32817
UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!alex