[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Arp 1.3, ASH and popcli

deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (02/08/90)

On 26 Jan 90 12:30:31 GMT, khl@ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk.doc.ic.ac.uk (Kang Ho Lee) said:

khl> I'm currently using Arp1.3 and ASH. One problem that occurs is
khl> popcli doesn't seem to work anymore. In that I mean the A-Esc to
khl> start a new shell has no effect at all but the screen blanker
khl> still seems fine. Is there something I havedone wrong?

popcli probably runs NewCLI instead of AShell.  Might I suggest you
use qmouse instead?  It is small (4K) and quite flexible.  It's
probably on xanth.cs.odu.edu, or I guess I could email you it.

Might I also suggest you talk to your system administrator about the
hostname appearing above?  The domain is repeated twice...  (or you
have a very strangely named domain.)

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 274-0327

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (02/08/90)

It seems that if you want a shell popper, most of the time you also get
a screen blanker, and possibly more.

It's certainly not the "Unix philosophy" that every program should do just
one thing, do it very well, and cooperate with every other program.

(I do expect a shell popper to allow me to indicate what shell it is supposed
to pop.)
William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

mks@cbmvax.commodore.com (Michael Sinz - CATS) (02/14/90)

In article <2503@leah.Albany.Edu> wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) writes:
>It seems that if you want a shell popper, most of the time you also get
>a screen blanker, and possibly more.
>
>It's certainly not the "Unix philosophy" that every program should do just
>one thing, do it very well, and cooperate with every other program.

Oh, and EMACS is?  Let me see, it is an OK editor that can play towers of
hanoi, ELIZA, read news, insert cookies, ....  All for just 1673428 bytes
of executable code!  I say that is a program that does one thing and does
it well.  (Use up all system resources...)  :-)

|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|\\\///          "I don't think so," said Ren'e Descartes.             |
| \XX/                    Just then, he vanished.                      |