[comp.sys.amiga.tech] windowing question

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (02/12/90)

Is there any way to open windows that will not become active if they are
clicked on?    The reason that I'de like to know is that I want to have
1 window that gets all of the keyboard input, and other windows for
display which could cover the input window.   Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

-Rick Golembiewski rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu

waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) (02/13/90)

In article <0ZpMuCC00VQDE6YEQg@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:

>Is there any way to open windows that will not become active if they are
>clicked on?    The reason that I'de like to know is that I want to have
>1 window that gets all of the keyboard input, and other windows for
>display which could cover the input window.   Any suggestions would be
>appreciated.

No, But...

You can get messages from your other windows when they are activated and,
when you receive one, call ActiveWindow() for your keyboard input
window.

One possible negative point to this is that users might try to activate
your output windows and be confused by their inability to do so (The
border will de-ghost and reghost.)

Another way would be to use the same IDCMP port for all your windows
and receive keyboard input from any or all of them.

--
Mark Waggoner  Santa Clara, CA    (408) 721-6306         waggoner@dtg.nsc.com
 Unofficially representing National Semiconductor Local Area Networks Group

p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) (02/13/90)

In article <0ZpMuCC00VQDE6YEQg@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:

>Is there any way to open windows that will not become active if they are
>clicked on?    The reason that I'de like to know is that I want to have
>1 window that gets all of the keyboard input, and other windows for
>display which could cover the input window.

No, all windows get active if they are clicked on. But why, if the
input window is covered by the output window, you could just get
inputs from your output window too. With a covered window
you could only get keyboard and menu events, but gadgets would
be confusing if they aren't visible.

Michael van Elst
uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (02/15/90)

In article <0ZpMuCC00VQDE6YEQg@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:

>Is there any way to open windows that will not become active if they are
>clicked on?    The reason that I'de like to know is that I want to have
>1 window that gets all of the keyboard input, and other windows for
>display which could cover the input window.   Any suggestions would be
>appreciated.

I suggest you use a single IDCMP port for all your windows.  This way, if you
get an ACTIVEWINDOW message, you can call Activate() on your input window
right away.  Or you could even read the input keystrokes from all windows,
thereby doing away with the necessity for an input window.

I did this in PickPacket, if you can find a copy take a look at the window
code.  Closing windows gets a little tricky.

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller=======================
  | o  |//     "I try to make everyone's day a little more surreal."
  ======               - Calvin
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker