[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 2500 and format

shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) (02/14/90)

    I have a question for anyone from CATS or anyone else about how to reformat
the drive that comes with a 2500.  I just got through trying to make enlarge
the FH0: partition on my Rodime drive to 3 meg.  Everything worked fine,
the PREP went fine , and the format for both FH0: and FH1: worked great.

     The problem occurs when I try to put files on the FH0: partition, which
is the second real partition on the drive.  For some reason when the drive
gets past 70% capacity I get a Disk Corrupt message and have to reboot.  The
only way to fix the problem is to go back to the 2.6 meg partition for FH0: that
CBM specified originally.  Any have any ideas why I can't change the size of
this partition????

                                                       Shawn Hayes

" Seaman) (02/16/90)

shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) writes:

<    I have a question for anyone from CATS or anyone else about how to
< reformat the drive that comes with a 2500.  I just got through trying to
< make enlarge the FH0: partition on my Rodime drive to 3 meg.  Everything
< worked fine, the PREP went fine , and the format for both FH0: and FH1:
< worked great.

<    The problem occurs when I try to put files on the FH0: partition, which
< is the second real partition on the drive.  For some reason when the
< drive gets past 70% capacity I get a Disk Corrupt message and have to
< reboot.  The only way to fix the problem is to go back to the 2.6 meg
< partition for FH0: that CBM specified originally.  Any have any ideas why
< I can't change the size of this partition????

<                                                        Shawn Hayes

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that perhaps
you forgot to reboot after doing prep (BEFORE formatting the partitions).
Prep writes the new partition information to the disk, but the OS
has no idea of this until the next reboot.  Consequently, it will
only format what it thinks is the current partition size.

I had no trouble converting my hard disk to a ~100KB DH0:, with the
remainder as FH0:.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (02/16/90)

In article <1990Feb14.031321.10430@jdyx.UUCP> shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) writes:

>    I have a question for anyone from CATS or anyone else about how to reformat
>the drive that comes with a 2500.  I just got through trying to make enlarge
>the FH0: partition on my Rodime drive to 3 meg.  Everything worked fine,
>the PREP went fine , and the format for both FH0: and FH1: worked great.
>
>     The problem occurs when I try to put files on the FH0: partition, which
>is the second real partition on the drive.  For some reason when the drive
>gets past 70% capacity I get a Disk Corrupt message and have to reboot.  The
>only way to fix the problem is to go back to the 2.6 meg partition for FH0: that
>CBM specified originally.  Any have any ideas why I can't change the size of
>this partition????
>
>                                                       Shawn Hayes

Did you tell PREP that you had changed the size of the first partition?

You MUST do that (I learned it the hard way!).

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)