[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Editors

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (02/13/90)

I am in search for the ultimate text editor to use while programming, and I
am wondering what some of you people use.  I have tried the following and
rejected them for the reasons given.

lse - kindof big and does not do *real* multiple reasons
dme - does not do real tabs, cannot switch between windows without moving mouse
uedit - window takes up whole screen and does not allow access to workbench
	   because it covers up the icons.
az - does not do real tabs, has not many features
microemacs - kindof big and opens another screen.

plus a few other ones.  I am now forced to revert back to using lse which in
my opinion is the lesser of the evils.  uedit seems to be an excellent program
but I must be able to size the window as I please.  I could also not figure
out how to get it to show me what line I am on (it would only show what page
and what line on that page).

Please let me know what you use and whether it does real tabs, has different
windows (resizable).  What other features does it have?  If it is pd or
shareware, where can I get it or can you send me a copy?

thanks in advance for your help.
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

a464@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dawson) (02/14/90)

> 840445m writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1990Feb13.124800.2175@aucs.uucp>
>
> Please let me know what you use and whether it does real tabs, has different
> windows (resizable).  What other features does it have?  If it is pd or
> shareware, where can I get it or can you send me a copy?
>
> thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> + Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
> + Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +
> + WOLFVILLE, N.S.     +   to make the world a better place."          +
> + 840445m@AcadiaU.CA  +                    - Tommy Douglas            +

     Mayhaps try CygnusEd Professional, from ASDG.  I think it's the world's
best editor, but I'd better stop there because having
written it myself makes me prone to rambling on about it's features more than
the net will tolerate.  Give ASDG a call at (608) 273-6585 for more info.

     But yes, it does have real tabs and resizable windows, plus many other
goodies.  It is commercial.  And it does tell you what line you're on.

.Bruce Dawson.

scotth@corp.sgi.com (Scott Henry) (02/14/90)

In article <1990Feb13.124800.2175@aucs.uucp> 840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) writes:

Alan> I am in search for the ultimate text editor to use while
Alan> programming, and I am wondering what some of you people use.  I have
Alan> tried the following and rejected them for the reasons given.
[...deleted..]
Alan> Please let me know what you use and whether it does real tabs, has
Alan> different windows (resizable).  What other features does it have?
Alan> If it is pd or shareware, where can I get it or can you send me a
Alan> copy?

IMHO, the ultimate text editor would be to port GNU Emacs to the Amiga,
but short of that, my current favorite is MG2B (originally MicroGnuEmacs).
It opens a window (which may be borderless) on the workbench screen, has
multiple re-sizable sub-windows (accessible from the keyboard), iconifies,
supports multiple fonts, and some other stuff I didn't compile in. I am
waiting for MG3 to show up (with an Arexx port, among other claimed
enhancements, to add programmability).  I think I got it off a Fish disk,
but it may have been posted to comp.sources.amiga once upon a time, and
might be at an archive site (if you can FTP).
--
  Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com>	| These are my	| Tardis Express -- when it
  Information Services,		| Opinions only!| absolutely, positively

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Under Construction) Meyer) (02/15/90)

>> IMHO, the ultimate text editor would be to port GNU Emacs to the Amiga,

But it won't run on a typical 1-meg Amiga. Other than that, I agree
with you.

>> but short of that, my current favorite is MG2B (originally MicroGnuEmacs).

The binaries are on a fish Disk. Sources can be gotten from
jade.berkeley.edu, in pub/mg (last time I looked, anyway) to compile
under either Manx 3.6 or (sorta-kinda) Lattice 4.x.

>> waiting for MG3 to show up (with an Arexx port, among other claimed
>> enhancements, to add programmability).

Yes, it's got an ARexx port. Also got a much-improved keyboard macro
support, so you can name the keyboard macro "M-x rexx C-m compile C-m"
as "compile", and do M-x compile and have it do make in the
background, output going into a buffer after it's done. A side affect
of this is the abilty to run keyboard macros inside keyboard macros.
For those of you with funny keyboards, the 8bit character support has
been worked out with input from people who use them regularly.

The sources to various beta versions of mg3 are in the same place as
mg2. There are known bugs in all the betas. One of these days, I'm
going settle down, roll in the DECStation code, and do another
beta....

	<mike
--
Il brilgue: les toves lubricilleux			Mike Meyer
Se gyrent en vrillant dans le guave,			mwm@berkeley.edu

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (02/15/90)

In article <1990Feb13.124800.2175@aucs.uucp> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan McKay) writes:
>I am in search for the ultimate text editor to use while programming, and I
>am wondering what some of you people use.  I have tried the following and
>rejected them for the reasons given.
>
> .
> .
>uedit - window takes up whole screen and does not allow access to workbench
>	   because it covers up the icons.
> .
> .

Uedit *does* allow access to the Workbench even though it opens its own
screen.  All you need to do is click the left mouse button in the title
bar and Uedit will iconify its window onto the Workbench screen (in the
manual this is called "tiny window").  To get it to restore its screen
simply click the left mouse button in the tiny window.

>plus a few other ones.  I am now forced to revert back to using lse which in
>my opinion is the lesser of the evils.  uedit seems to be an excellent program
>but I must be able to size the window as I please.  I could also not figure
>out how to get it to show me what line I am on (it would only show what page
>and what line on that page).

You can force Uedit to show you what line you're on by setting lines/page
to 1.

>Please let me know what you use and whether it does real tabs, has different
>windows (resizable).  What other features does it have?  If it is pd or
>shareware, where can I get it or can you send me a copy?

I used to want resizable windows and for the editor to open its window on
the Workbench screen till I began doing screen-shuffling (hitting the
screen's front/back gadget or using L-Amiga M and N) and shuffle so often
that I've installed a mouse accelerator utility (RSLClock a.k.a. ClockDJ)
which also allows me to cycle through the various open screens by hitting
and holding down the right mouse button while clicking the left mouse
button.  You should give one of these a try.  Other utilities are available
which provide similar function, I've just settled on ClockDJ.

Note that Uedit's screen doesn't have front/back gadgets since, as I said
earlier, you can just click in its title bar to make it go to tiny window.

I've been a Uedit user for over a year and have been quite happy with it,
especially in light of its eminent programmability (*every* key can be
turned into a "program") however I'm in the process of re-evaluating
CEDPro Version 2 (a.k.a. CygnusEd Professional 2.0)...it appears that they
(ASDG and CygnusSoft) have improved it mightily since the first version.
I'd check out CEDPro, too, I were you.

I've redirected follow-ups to comp.sys.amiga; the tech content seems to
be a bit low, IMHO, for this newsgroup.

>+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
>+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +
>+ WOLFVILLE, N.S.     +   to make the world a better place."          +
>+ 840445m@AcadiaU.CA  +                    - Tommy Douglas            +
--
Tony Sumrall   author of VT100 2.9 (and 2.8a and 2.8 and...)
acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

duncant@mbunix.mitre.org (Thomson) (02/18/90)

In my humble opinion, the best Amiga editor is CygnusEd.

It's the fastest, has a full AREXX interface, good macro capability,
allows multiple "views" of the same file or different files, and,
most important, is bug fre and comes with an excellent manual.

It is available from ASDG Inc. for a reasonable fee (I think I paid about
$60.00, but I don't remember exactly)

DUNCAN THOMSON